I'd thought I'd pick people's minds here on a song that's bugging me on composing my bass part.
The chord progression is Bm6 (sus4th) (?? according to guitarist??) to C9 to D9. The singer is basically singing in Gm.
It's a slow acoustic song that repeats the progression over and over. I tried a slow walking line - the guys hated it.
I was using some artificial harmonic chords to add some color, however the guys said they sounded too harsh and want me to use natural harmonics instead.
So, does anyone know any natural harmonic chords that could fit in with that progression. I play a six string bass.
Its possible to get a harmonic for any note conceivable. I used to have a sheet that showed the position of every single natural harmonic you can use, but idk where it went. When all else fails, harp harmonics.
Just play the chord shape and tap the fret 5, 7, 9, or 12 frets up and there you go.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Presumably the bass is tuned BEADGC, for the Bm6add11, you could go with:
C-4*
G-4*
D-5*
A-x-
E-4-
B-x-

*=harmonic

C9:

C-5*-
G-5*-
D-5*-
A-1--
E-5*-
B-x-- 

D9

C-4*-
G-3*-
D-5*-
A-5*-
E-5*-
B-x-- 

I doubt you'd be able to hit all the notes in one go unless you have a huge left hand but it'd sound nice as broken chord work.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.