Do you find yourself emotionally tied to the outcome of Books or Films?

Page 1 of 3
For every year of my life up till now, I haven't given a toss about what happens in films, I knew it was fiction, and fantasy stayed on the TV or on some paper.

Last month I watched "Bridge to teribithia" and found myself crying (on the inside) for about a week.

That sentence wouldn't mean much to someone who hasn't felt it before, and if you haven't... sorry. Read it again and try to understand. I was sad for a week because a fictional character died. I couldn't get to sleep easily and I didn't put effort into anything I did.

I also just finished reading "His Dark Materials"

The only thing that I can concentrate on is Lyra... she can't see Will every again etc. It sounds so trivial writing it, but it's not I tell you lol. My only release is drawing pictures from scenes in the books, which for some reason I seem to be doing pretty well =D

I think I'm slowly slipping into a fantasy, fictional type world. I only realised this when I was playing videogames, looked at the wall behind my TV and just thought, "****, this is real" I don't know what's happening, but so far fantasy is a hell of a lot better than reality.

Any stories?
ya, after the ending of one particular anime, i was totally dead on the inside for about a month, I'm cool now lol
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
the ending music always makes me feel like crying because it reminds me of this girl. i would seriously avoid watching the end of that game because i didn't want to be reminded of her. i'm a pussy lol
no, i dont get a boner for video games and books about wizards
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
I found the section in Kevin Smith's "My Boring Ass Life" where he talks about his dad dying pretty heart-jerking, but other than that not really. Although, I did outload call the room in 1408 a "sonofabitch" after it made Cusack's daughter die in his arms.

No one does that Cusack, no one!
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Yes, any good book or movie gets your emotions going.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I've only cried once watching a film - I wish I could remember what film it was.

What I love about the book Rules of Attraction is how real the characters feel to me. No matter how many times I read it I still fall in love with Paul and Lauren every time.
For some reason i felt really bad for the Spartans =(
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by psyks
For every year of my life up till now, I haven't given a toss about what happens in films, I knew it was fiction, and fantasy stayed on the TV or on some paper.

Last month I watched "Bridge to teribithia" and found myself crying (on the inside) for about a week.

That sentence wouldn't mean much to someone who hasn't felt it before, and if you haven't... sorry. Read it again and try to understand. I was sad for a week because a fictional character died. I couldn't get to sleep easily and I didn't put effort into anything I did.

I also just finished reading "His Dark Materials"

The only thing that I can concentrate on is Lyra... she can't see Will every again etc. It sounds so trivial writing it, but it's not I tell you lol. My only release is drawing pictures from scenes in the books, which for some reason I seem to be doing pretty well =D

I think I'm slowly slipping into a fantasy, fictional type world. I only realised this when I was playing videogames, looked at the wall behind my TV and just thought, "****, this is real" I don't know what's happening, but so far fantasy is a hell of a lot better than reality.

Any stories?

yeah, i've felt that way before.
sometimes i'll just be walking or something and then suddenly go "holy ****, this is real?"
life is so absurd, isnt it?
Isn't 'Bridge to Teribithia' a kid movie?

I cry at a lot of movies and books (I'm a pussy) and I remember being gutted in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest at what happened to him after all the story
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
yeah man after I finally finished the Dark Tower series
(especially the last one)
I pretty much slipped into a depression darker than a steer's tookus on a cold prarie night
Quote by psyks

You just ruined the ending of that movie for me!
Also American History X got to me and well Saving Private Ryan too. I hate when main characters die...=(
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Why Eureka Seven Whyy!~!!!
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
TS: Get a job.
Only kiddin'. A good film gets my emotions stirred up well too.

Also, the only real film to really linger in my mind was Children of Men. Is humanity saved? Is Theo really dead? Will humanity rebuild itself or kill itself...Harsh film.

Also Jarhead. Pretty powerful war film without hardly any killing at all in it.
Last edited by Moggan13 at Apr 1, 2008,
Harry Potter was a pritty emotional rollercoaster for me
im ok now though, i hope
One of the only times I've been really close to tears was at the end of "The Road" where the father dies, I acualy stop reading for a minute.
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
Quote by EkGunz_19
yeah man after I finally finished the Dark Tower series
(especially the last one)
I pretty much slipped into a depression darker than a steer's tookus on a cold prarie night

I'm lazy as hell and don't feel like reading another four thousand pages to get to the end (just started wolves of the calla). What happens?

Jake dies, doesn't he.

Steven King has a thing for killing children.
FREE THE PEAR

Robot Lewis Stevenson of the Timesplitters group! Join!
Quote by Moggan13
TS: Get a job.

Also, the only real film to really linger in my mind was Children of Men. Is humanity saved? Is Theo really dead? Will humanity rebuild itself or kill itself...Harsh film.

Also Jarhead. Pretty powerful war film without hardly any killing at all in it.

jarhead sucked... i left when the xmas party started... *if i remember correctly*

it was just a bunch of marines sexing it up with each other in the desert lol xD

That movie was made by an xmarine who was in service for like... 15 years, and never got too high in the ranks.. (meaning he was a bad marine and probably holds some anger t words the military)
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
jarhead sucked... i left when the xmas party started... *if i remember correctly*

it was just a bunch of marines sexing it up with each other in the desert lol xD

That movie was made by an xmarine who was in service for like... 15 years, and never got too high in the ranks.. (meaning he was a bad marine and probably holds some anger t words the military)

I liked it. It shows war films can be brutal without people getting mowed down left right and centre. If you think about it, these guys are trained to kill, and they don;t get a chance to kill in a war they don;t fully understand. I found it pretty powerful when they walk through the brunt-out cars and highway....
Quote by Moggan13
I liked it. It shows war films can be brutal without people getting mowed down left right and centre. If you think about it, these guys are trained to kill, and they don;t get a chance to kill in a war they don;t fully understand. I found it pretty powerful when they walk through the brunt-out cars and highway....

i never got to that part
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
To answer TC's question:

The only things that come to mind that really pissed me off were American History X, Pet Sematary (**** you, king), and Bridge was pretty bad, too. When I saw it I said, "what the hell kind of kid's movie is this?"
FREE THE PEAR

Good books, yes, most movies, no. A few anime series really get me when the main (and coolest) character is killed off about 8 episodes in. (I'm looking at you GL).
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
yeah, but moreso with objects. i personify them. like, i had this dream about a kitkat which spoke to me last night, and then i couldn't bring myself to eat the kitkat i bought earlier because i was scared it would get hurt

something like this, in fact:

but films and books, not as much as i used to. although they do make me cry sometimes
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by touji-za-nai
i never got to that part

Watch it again, watch it from when they are told it's now Desert Storm now, not Desert Shield and go on the "attack". All hell goes loose.

I'm a film student.

i have to pee has the COOLEST SIG I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!
FREE THE PEAR

Quote by toshiro umezewa
yeah, i've felt that way before.
sometimes i'll just be walking or something and then suddenly go "holy ****, this is real?"
life is so absurd, isnt it?
Yep, I tend to just look at it once in a while, decide "this isn't for me" and carry on ignoring it
Half life two: Episode 2 killed me on the inside.

Lamarr died.
FREE THE PEAR

I once wrote to an author and demanded to know what happens to the characters of her story. I felt empty inside till I knew. It was such a wierd feeling.
Stupid emotions

*hits emotions*

What I hated about the amber spyglass (spoilers) is that it didn't even say what happened to them, just that Lyra studied the alethiometer and will went to live with his mother or whatever. It's the worst cliffhanger ever.

"they will never see each other again till they die, where they will meet and be joined for ever"

Goddamn he needs to write even a paragraph of what happens when they die, even if it's just "they were happy"

*hits emotions*

*goes to sleep*
Quote by touji-za-nai
ya, after the ending of one particular anime, i was totally dead on the inside for about a month, I'm cool now lol

which anime?
Yeah, on the inside, emotionally im a HUGE baby. But I have trouble crying during movies in front of others so I guess youd never know it
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Yeah, I Almost cried at a part of Naruto (Call Me a Nerd or whatever xD)

Oh Gaara ALL HE WANTED WAS FRIENDS!!!!
Quote by xAbyssusx
Yeah, I Almost cried at a part of Naruto (Call Me a Nerd or whatever xD)

Oh Gaara ALL HE WANTED WAS FRIENDS!!!!

Nerd?

bah.

Naruto is as mainstream as anime gets.

You can all your self a nerd when you can name all of the characters from Lucky star, do the dance to Hare Hare Yuki, and are able to discuss at length the religious symbology of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Even I can't claim that all of these
Yes...

If not, why the hell are you even bothering to read books and watch films? You're obviously missing something huge.

EDIT: Or you're watching ****e fillms and reading pishy books.

EDIT2: Though i've never felt like I was part of a video game, which is a whole different kettle of fish. That kettle is known as 'insanity'.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by denizenz
I have a serious problem getting emotionally tied to anything. I think there may be something wrong with me actually.

It's home schooling, away to the religion thread with you - meths has some counselling to do...

On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by rizo299
Nerd?

bah.

Naruto is as mainstream as anime gets.

You can all your self a nerd when you can name all of the characters from Lucky star, do the dance to Hare Hare Yuki, and are able to discuss at length the religious symbology of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Even I can't claim that all of these

Yep, i've always wanted to check out anime and thought i'd finally give it a try.

Popularity doesn't make something crap.

Although i wouldn't know about it much because i can't compare it to anything else
Page 1 of 3