If you have access to any CAD software (eg. Rhino 4 evalution, which is free), use this:

http://www.guitarbuild.com/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=22

It's a template for a bolt-on explorer, but should give you all of the dimensions that you need.

Edit: Loads more explorer plans on this page - http://www.guitarbuild.com/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=4&min=10&orderby=titleA&show=10

If you, reply here, and I'll get the dimensions from it for you.

Let me know which you want:
Bolt-on
Neckthrough
ESP style necktrough
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by blindskater1213
I want a bolt-on, and thanks for the info

Here, I just knocked this up:

The guide lines show the distance each measurement is for. They should be accurate to within ~2mm.

If you need any other measurements, let me know.

Edit: I just checked these against my Explorer, and they're pretty much spot on. If you draw them out, you'll get a pointy outline, then you'll need to round and expand a little to get the perfect shape.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Here, I just knocked this up:

The guide lines show the distance each measurement is for. They should be accurate to within ~2mm.

If you need any other measurements, let me know.

Edit: I just checked these against my Explorer, and they're pretty much spot on. If you draw them out, you'll get a pointy outline, then you'll need to round and expand a little to get the perfect shape.

first i want to thank you because of uploading this template but if is not much to ask, can u indicate the inclination angl where is needed?? and also i want to ask u, is the template real size?? (1:1) if affirmative, how can i print it..... tnx!!!
Quote by chivagott
first i want to thank you because of uploading this template but if is not much to ask, can u indicate the inclination angl where is needed?? and also i want to ask u, is the template real size?? (1:1) if affirmative, how can i print it..... tnx!!!

It's not 1:1, so you can't just print it.

I'll come back to this later, once I've eaten.
I have the explorer plans in a dxf format for cad. If you download them in a dxf format it will tile all the pages together and you can print all of them and tape them together...And yes this template is 1:1 you can get a viewer to view dxf formats at autodesk.com they are free for the viewer if you have any questions just pm me or reply to this thread...I have subscribed to this thread so I will get a notification or hit me up at my site www.fretjammer.com Peace, Shawn

PS These plans are the same as the ones in this thread but full size and have the neck also.
Last edited by shawnsblues2 at May 18, 2009,
i am also thinking about building an explorer style guitar, and my original plan was to use a bunch of hardware from an epiphone les paul i have that has a busted truss rod (tuning keys, pickups, volume knobs, etc.) my question is: do all gibsons use the same tune o matic bridge, or is there any difference in size? would i be able to remove the bridge from the les paul and put it on an explorer body with no modifications?
Please do not bump old threads.
But to answer your question, your hardware will be fine.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by elden_white
my question is: do all gibsons use the same tune o matic bridge, or is there any difference in size? would i be able to remove the bridge from the les paul and put it on an explorer body with no modifications?

1. I think so, yeah.

2. As long as the post sizes and spacing are correct, yes. The posts will be either 4mm or 6mm in width, then the spacing should be 74mm.

Just be aware that import guitars tend to have the 6mm-post ToM's, whilst USA Gibson guitars will have the 4mm posts. So, you may not be able to take the bridge from a USA Gibson Les Paul and put it on an Epiphone Explorer. .. or vice versa.

However, you can always plug the old post holes with dowels, drill new holes, and mount the different bushings.