I just finished a song that I've been working on lately, based loosely on piedmont guitar playing and such. check it out here http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/liquidbluesband/ and crit 4 crit of course.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I liked this.

How many tracks did you record? It spaces across the mix really well. The guitar and vocals sound very authentic, and the harmonica sounds very clean (possibly a bit too clean? It sounds like a nice condenser job).
thanks for the speedy respose man. I just did 2 condensers (one close miked, one about 4 feet away) for the guitar, vocals and harp. For most of my mixes I'll pan the guitar to like 45, than clone that track and put it at 47. I did that for all 3 instruments, ie vocals were panned +1 left and -1 right.
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Fallin' Round:

I really like the ambience of the mix, especially Hawaiian Guitar (?). Did I hear some kids shouting and playing in the background during the song at about 2:26? Even if it wasn't intentional, I like it. Really solid playing, the bass part kept a good rhythm all the way through.

Maybe you could make a more melodic line so that you can have a definite tune, but other than that, I like it.

8/10

Call it Stormy Monday:

Mixing maybe needs to be a bit more rhythm heavy; I can't really hear your guitar (chords) and bass as well as your solo guitar and vox. Nice solo fills, I like the riffs. Your singing could use a little work, but it isn't terrible, just maybe work on your dynamics a bit more. I like the lyrics, the religion references make it very "slow blues". The upbeat part with the guitar solo breaks the song up well, I think it would have been a bit dirgish if you'd carried on in the minimalist slow blues frame for the whole song. Again, solid playing in the solo. I don't know if you're using midi for the drums, but a more full ride sound might be in order. And a nice solid ending.

7/10

Gone Forever:

Now this is a better mix; I can hear the rhythm much better. Really nice Harmonica sound, I think the really clean harmonica sound is hard to get so kudos to you for that. Rhythm follows the 12 Bar but you don't just sit on the old shuffle rhythm and that's what's good about it. Nice finger pickin' guitar solo! I really think that this song is my favourite. Maybe a drum injection would help it improve further. Vocals have already been covered, although they are better in this song. Really nice ending to this one.

9/10

If you have the time: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=827231
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Apr 1, 2008,
Wow thanks for that in depth crit on all 3. seriously. On Fallin' Round I did put some random clip of a playground in there just for some ambience. I've since remixed Stormy Monday, because I wasn't really happy with it either. and i agree that Gone Forever needs a little something else to add to it, I just don't know what yet.
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Quote by aetherspear
Wow thanks for that in depth crit on all 3. seriously. On Fallin' Round I did put some random clip of a playground in there just for some ambience. I've since remixed Stormy Monday, because I wasn't really happy with it either. and i agree that Gone Forever needs a little something else to add to it, I just don't know what yet.

Yeah, maybe I was a little harsh on the crits, but something I've learned is that I would rather know the parts that were bad rather than good. I mean, in my book "That's really good. Keep it up" isn't really of any use to me, though nice to hear. I think that this stuff is definitely better than some of the stuff I've heard on here and elsewhere, and the tone is awesome. Maybe you should audition for the UG album? Glen'sHeroicAct runs it, look up his UG album thread in The Pit.
Absolutely, I'd definately rather have critical comments, then "Hey great job". I think I'm going to submit something new rather than one of these tunes.
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Hey man sorry about the late comment but I just read your post on my melissa thread and wanted to reciprocate the favor. I thought this tune was recorded really well. There's nothing really in the song that makes me go "Aw this is an amazing song man!!!", but that's fine by me; it is still a very solid tune. I especially liked the interplay between the harp and the guitar. The vocals were good as well. very solid, crisp recording.

Also: I took a listen to your Stormy Monday because I've loved the song ever since I heard the allman's version on Live at Filmore East and was curious to see how you did it. I know you've probably fixed it by now but I think it is a pretty good demo version. the volume kinda went from loud to quiet at times and the lead wasn't always spot on, but it was still nice to listen to!

Edit: thanks for your crit on mine. I'm working on rerecording some stuff for it so it'll sound a bit better. It was helpful to get some pointers.
The only thing I thought was bad in this song was the bassline.. it sucks. Sorry! lol
But rest is awesome, really great job man!