After paying off my Fender, I was looking into a tube amp. I don't want to spend too much, but I want the best possible tone and sound.

I don't play gigs; but I do jam with friends.

I play rock, classic rock, older metal (Iron Maiden) and a variety of cleans.

Can a 5w tube amp go quite loud? Like, will it sound decent at its highest volume.

^ I know that depends on the amp, so what are some good 5w tube amps I could look into? I was intrigued by the Epi Valve Jr. and some Blackheart models. Any better ones?
How much do you want to spend? As long as your not trying to beat out a drummer you should be ok. They can get loud enough to piss off your spouse or G/F. Tone wise it's all subjective. Valve Jr's can be had for $150 (combo) on up to $1600+ for boutique 5 watters. What's in your wallet?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
i'm also wondering the answer to this as i'm going to buy one soon. One thing i wanted to ask (not threadjacking) also is if they can go loud, a 5w tube amp at max vol like wont kill itself or speakers?

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Quote by scott58
How much do you want to spend? As long as your not trying to beat out a drummer you should be ok. They can get loud enough to piss off your spouse or G/F. Tone wise it's all subjective. Valve Jr's can be had for $150 (combo) on up to $1600+ for boutique 5 watters. What's in your wallet?

I could probably go $400, and possibly some cash from the 'rents. So probably not much past $500.
It would be as loud as a 10-15 watt SS amp which is pretty loud. A little too loud for bedroom practice but not quite loud enough for jamming. 5 watts tube is IMO the ideal recording amp.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
For that kind of money I would look into a nice 15-30 watt combo, plenty of options in that price range, new and used. This a way you could have somthing that sounds good enough for practicing at home as well as somthing that you would be able to gig with. So, Are you wanting a giging amp or a practice amp??
Quote by Johnbryant
For that kind of money I would look into a nice 15-30 watt combo, plenty of options in that price range, new and used. This a way you could have somthing that sounds good enough for practicing at home as well as somthing that you would be able to gig with. So, Are you wanting a giging amp or a practice amp??

Uhm, I want a "jamming" amp; something that I can practice contently with, but also possibly jam with drums, another guitarist and bassist.

Any idea? I was thinking of that new 15w Blackheart that's comin' out...
Quote by soul_power
It would be as loud as a 10-15 watt SS amp which is pretty loud. A little too loud for bedroom practice but not quite loud enough for jamming. 5 watts tube is IMO the ideal recording amp.

I disagree. With an OD pedal, i've even held night practice sessions with my VJ copy.
I live in an apartment, and usually at daytime, i just crank it the whole way.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Any specific model you suggest, soul_power?

Well you could be looking into a used Orange Tiny Terror which is 15 watts but it has a half power switch bringing it down to 7. If you want a cheaper one then I would go with a Blackheart head/cab.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Ludicrously loud. They are usually restricted by the speakers they are with though, but I've seen people gig with a 5w head into a 4x12. No clean headroom, just cranked. Sounded great too. A 5w valve is half as loud as a 50w valve amp, just remember that.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by zwound
I disagree. With an OD pedal, i've even held night practice sessions with my VJ copy.
I live in an apartment, and usually at daytime, i just crank it the whole way.

Sounds like you have a problem with your amp. If i crank my Vj with my guitar volume on full at 1am my neighbors are going to say something.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Uhm, I want a "jamming" amp; something that I can practice contently with, but also possibly jam with drums, another guitarist and bassist.

Then I would really consider looking into somthing a little bigger, 15-30 to get over a drumer. A 5watt would get over a lighter drumer on the OD channel, but thers no possible way it would have a chance on clean with a thumper. Praticing on your own with a bigger amp is still doable, I practice all the time with my 30 watt head through a 412 cab, and find the tone I get exceptable at that level, it sounds better turned up but it still sounds good when its turned down.
for $400 you can get a peavey classic 30 used at samash.

It's the floormodel though.
Quote by Johnbryant
^ thats what I would do.

+1
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Used Tiny Terrors are usually $450ish on ebay, or if you are patient you find one at or below $400.
a 5W amp would only be able to do very high pitched sounds at a fairly loud volume, due to the physics of it, but a 50watt and 100watt tube amp really aren't that far apart in volume, just seems to sound louder, but decibel wise, its about the same.

I'd suggest a 50Watt tube amp, but a 30 or 40 would def do, If you can for metal the ideal amp is a $350 ebay amp of Peavey XXX the 40 watt combo 1X12 amp is really the best for practice amps, does clean and high gain, better than the 6505 2X12 and can do cleans very easily and quickly with channels unlike the 6505, but in reality you'll need good pickups designed to fit your needs as well as a decent tube amp, but in all seriousness you shouldn't need to pay more than 100 for a small practice amp, then go to a good tube amp, most palyers keep small amps for about 8months then they get a good tube amp, so I'd suggest that 50watter bro
if you can find a tiny terror go for it I use it to jam with a drummer and I can get over them with my volume over 5 but with a thumper I might go up to about 7 or 8 sometime I want to krank it to 10 with tone volume and distrtion but I havent tried that yet. A good thing about tiny terror is you control tube breakup with the gain and not volume so you can krank it clean for bedroom bad thing about that is at bedroom with full distortion I can only get to about 3 or 4 before someone complains about volume.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
^ you could use periods you know.

You dont need 50 watts. i say go with the peavey classic 30. All around great amp
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Mini Colossal? If it's too expensive, then used?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
There's so much more to an amp's loudness than just the wattage rating. Number of speakers, design, etc. I built an 8watt amp that was ridiculously loud for some reason. It could smoke any drummer I played with playing through a closed-back 1x12 cab.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Never heard of it? Got a link or know where I can look at it?

The full name is the Peavey JSX Mini Colossal. 5 watt tube amps, good stuff, will run you around $500 I think new.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
My friend's 7 watt solidstate amp gets over my drummer (surprisingly..., it sounds like utter crap though). You'll be fine. Plus, with my friend's Blackheart, even with the volume knob at the max, you can coax a bit more output by putting a nice boost in front of it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator