Hey got a question for any other guitar techs out there well my friends band asked me to be there guitar tech and i need to know what im up against as far as tools and what i need to know can somebody help me on that thanks
honestly not to be a jerk but you probly shouldnt take a job as a guitar tech if you dont know bassicly everything about guitars
89' fender strat
gibson sg specail with grover tuners
standard tele
ibenez gio bass
takamine eg334sc
72'martin d-15
skbps-45 board, lots of pedals
peavey tripple xxx head w/ marshall cab
This should cover the basics:

1. lots of different screwdrivers
2. fret files
3. fretboard radius tool
4. lot of different allen keys
5. soldering iron
6. shielding tape
7. spare pots/jacks/knobs/wire/etc
8. hammer and a wooden block
9. polish and polishing cloths
10. steel wool
11. lemon oil
12. ratchet and socket set (SAE and metric)
13. masking tape, electrical tape, duct tape, scotch tape, double sided tape, etc
15. pliers of various types
16. side cutters
17. experience in this line of work
18. a background that includes working on guitars
19. more experience in this line of work
20. the knowledge that you're not going to screw up a nice instrument

EDIT: I've been doing simple to advanced work for years and I still go to a tech for things like fretwork as I don't trust myself to not screw up.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Last edited by Kendall at Apr 1, 2008,
What Kendall said.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
yeah, be careful tho as techs are expected to know everything, people are trusting you with their instruments which are both expensive and probably sentimental
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Mylifeforyours
Hey got a question for any other guitar techs out there well my friends band asked me to be there guitar tech and i need to know what im up against as far as tools and what i need to know can somebody help me on that thanks

you have to be kidding, right?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
If you need to ask what kind of tools you're gonna need, you shouldn't tech for even the crappiest of garage bands.

Sorry.
Quote by Kendall

2. fret files
3. fretboard radius tool
5. soldering iron
6. shielding tape
10. steel wool
11. lemon oil
13. masking tape, electrical tape, duct tape, scotch tape, double sided tape, etc
16. side cutters

EDIT: I've been doing simple to advanced work for years and I still go to a tech for things like fretwork as I don't trust myself to not screw up.

As stated, if your looking to be a tech for a gigging band, those are, undoubtedly, the basics.
Quote by Mylifeforyours

don't bother, man.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Kendall

2. fret files
3. fretboard radius tool
5. soldering iron
6. shielding tape
10. steel wool
11. lemon oil
16. side cutters

Further demonstrates that you shouldnt be their guitar tech if you dont even know the tools you need.

I know a lot of guys similar to this guy, who have done it for years, but still take some of their guitars to pro's when they need more advanced stuff done.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by nvranka
Further demonstrates that you shouldnt be their guitar tech if you dont even know the tools you need.

I know a lot of guys similar to this guy, who have done it for years, but still take some of their guitars to pro's when they need more advanced stuff done.

Raises hand.
Unless they have a separate tech for amps then you sure as hell better know how amps work and how to bias them and whatnot. If something goes down during a show you need to know how to fix it ASAP so you need to be able to work well under pressure.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.

oh wait this guy is serious dude you need to go to school and or have friends(who have gone to a school or been under an apprenticeship) teach you. Even then i'd still leave most major things to them.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
you got a point.
no one ever starts out knowing it all go a head and learn but don't overstate your qualifications if you going to be a Guitar Tech you don't want some one to expect more than you can give
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by Mockingbird452
Don't say, he shouldn't be a tech if he doesn't know anything. If he really wants to do it, he can learn how.

Well, of course. But learn first.
+1 (for all the comments above)

And now my .2

Im a guitar and amp tech myself and contract at a music store. Also just started working in a gigging band. You have to have prior electronic experiance and know your way around the inside and outside of a guitar and amp. I had previous years experiance in eletronics so getting into the guitar stuff was cake. But I did have to learn the finer points in setups and adjustments which takes a bit of time and alot of research. And all that amounts to nothing if you dont have the ear and skills to do it properly. Its a talent just like anything else. Some have the nack for being a tech some don't. If you have been tearing stuff apart, breaking stuff just to fix it and doing your own repairs since you were like 4 odds are your gonna be good at it and enjoy it and its not something you post and ask about. You are what you are.

Also being a tech is not must tuning a guitar, its a whole lot more. You have to be able to fix anything and everything. Including complex electronics. Also do grunt work, like a week ago at a show the drummers bass pedal kept sliding mid set and i didnt have time to fix it so i had to get up on stage at a crazy angle and hold it down with my foot for the rest of the set. Or when your guitarist kicks his amp of stage then hands it to you to fix by tomorrow for the next show. Its a trip...

Also tools alone will cost you a pretty penny, and there are some specialty tools that are needed that you cant just pickup at the local store. So your basically spending money on something you you may never use. So it can be costly.

And now the cons for working with a band. They will want you to do everything for nothing or very little. I basically am hooking up the band im with and doing everything for 50% off normal charges. Within a month i've lost about 300-400 bucks in a since because im not charging full price. But money is money and the band will keep you rolling along because there always breaking stuff and your always fixing or setting stuff up. And its a fun experiance and im friends with the guys.. So its cool..

So with that said... I woudlnt do it if i were you...
get a crappy beater guitar and practise taking it apart and putting it back together. that's the best way to start. fix it up and turn it into a nice instrument.
become friends with local luthiers and guitar/amp repair men that is where i learn almost everything i know
-George Will

+1 to Ibanez and Kendall well said.

People asking you to be a guitar tech with little or no experience at all is basicly just like somone asking you to be a surgeon with no experience. I have been working on just one of my guitars for 2 years from action rising/string buzzing,refinishing,all the way to the wires that register the sounds of the different guitar parts. I still woudnt consider myself an experienced pre guitar technician, there is much MUCH more to learn about. You have to get ready to do anything at any time wether it be tuning a floyd rose inbetween a show, and bridge replacement.

Just disect the guitar as if you want to learn what how every single thing in the guitar works. Hope it helps,good luck.