Poll: Your type of guitarist?
Poll Options
View poll results: Your type of guitarist?
Speed and Technically Ability e.g Malmsteen
44 12%
Slower and Emotive e.g Gilmour
132 36%
Both - if possible - tell me who and why
192 52%
Voters: 368.
Page 1 of 4
I was browsing through all these forums and was just wondering....

you have players like Malmsteen who like the scales and will quite happily play for you at 10-20-30nps ish, but lack the soul (and maybe tone?) of certain other players

such as

David Gilmour, who (and we must be honest) is not the fastest player in history, but seems to put every ounce of emotion into each and every note he plays

there are some that may have both (if lucky - some might say Vai?) but really you have two massive dif. ends of the spectrum with very little in the middle

i've put a small poll up, but im guessing most people will choose option 3 - but i want the views on why that person goes with no.3 and some examples of speed and emotion throughout their career.
Poll's not up.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
Tom Scholz. perfect melody and phrasing not super soulful not super fast. Right in the middle perfect
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Well let's have someone who's probably the best at both and say Buckethead =3
Beautiful melody coupled perfectly with intense shred, neither takes anything away from the other, the way he uses them is really incredible.
Aside fromthat , he uses effects incredibly well and excells in a multitude of different styles.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Last edited by Ichimaru at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by denizenz
Speed = Emotion.

Only occasionally.

Most speed = mindless and emotionless crap shredding

Example = Zak Wylde
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
Only occasionally.

Example = Zak Wylde

Hardly a good example, he's more about an overuse of pinch harmonics.

Malmsteen though.....terrible musician.....
Both, like Michael Amott, he has the neo classical sense of brain bending speed and technicality, but he and his brother - Chris, who's more of a shredder - are able to pull off some extremely beautiful melodies, packed with emotion.

I'm more into the faster and more technical side of things, though.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
John Butler

I voted slower and more emotion, but I think he qualifies for 'both'
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by MH400
Only occasionally.

Example = Zak Wylde

Someone's a little jealous...
Quote by Bostonrocks
Tom Scholz. perfect melody and phrasing not super soulful not super fast. Right in the middle perfect

good example!!
Slower. Someone like Mikael Akerfeldt.

I don't care much nowadays for tear-jerking or face-melting solo.

I'm a rhythm kinda guy.
Quote by ctb

I'm a rhythm kinda guy.

either love it or hate it! haha

good answer. didnt think of that!
Quote by Rockford_rocks
Someone's a little jealous...

Umm. No.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by davedoom
good example!!
What about Neal Schon and Brian May, then

I hate you, BTW. You have a Rockerverb.
Quote by ctb
I'm a rhythm kinda guy.
Quote by n to the k
hendrix

all round amazing

I don't think so. He definatly had emotion and was a good guitar player. but he wasn't that fast and didn't have much technical ability imo
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by denizenz
Speed = Emotion.

Class, today we're going to learn how a simple "if, then" statement works. For example: if speed = emotion, then denizenz = fail.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Anyone who thinks Zakk's playing lacks emotion, just remember the No More Tears solo. I've always felt that Chuck Schuldiner always combined emotional content and speed/technicality into his playing the most. But that's probably because I'm such a mark for him, and he's biggest influence on my playing
Quote by Flying Couch

+1 to that. Tom scholz and Brian May go hand in hand. They are so much alike its kinda scary
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Fleabag
John Butler

I voted slower and more emotion, but I think he qualifies for 'both'

good answer... hes awesome
I would say both, but i myself like slower stuff more often than shreddy stuff. A decent example would be Claudio Sanchez. He writes awesome songs and riffs, and can play pretty fast, like in some of the newer songs. But he can also do slow, bluesy stuff, like the Final Cuts ending solo or The End Complete 5. And the songs he writes are on either end of things. He can write poppy, simple songs, like Feathers or Favor House Atlantic, or some pretty dark, long, and proggy songs, like The Willing Well 3.
Quote by denizenz
Speed = Emotion.

Yes, that's what I want to hear. I hate how much hatred for shredding and fast guitarists people have nowadays. They immediately assume that if a guitarist can play accurately at 200bpm they play with no emotion. That's not true in the least, using Malmsteen was a very bad example; but he does cover huge amounts of classical music which is filled with emotion.

People like Michael Amott, Chris Amott, Petrucci, Gary Holt, Lee Altus, Mustaine and Dimebag all play at great speed in their solos, but they have great amounts of emotion in many of their solos. I think this hatred of fast guitar players just stems from jealously of stumpy fingered turds.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by MH400
Umm. No.

I think so. At least you got the mindless bit right. You just say the word and the man can rip out an amazing solo. Can you do that? No? Then leave Zakk alone, please.
Quote by Flying Couch

i do like May a lot - whats the quickest he's played? i havent seen stuff that speedy but please tell me people.
Schon im not particularly keen on as he seems a bit mixed - but some great stuff along the way no doubt

thanks - the Rockerverb goes hand in hand with the Engl - just kills!

Quote by Bostonrocks
I don't think so. He definatly had emotion and was a good guitar player. but he wasn't that fast and didn't have much technical ability imo

ummm thats not true - listen to some bootlegs! machine gun! wowow

+++No More Tears solo is a perfect example of both - thanks Id
Quote by thsrayas
Class, today we're going to learn how a simple "if, then" statement works. For example: if speed = emotion, then denizenz = fail.

Moron, your equation is wrong.

If speed = emotion, then denizenz = correct.

In order to insult me, you would have had to state clearly that speed =/= emotion. Which you didn't do, so you fail.
John Williams is an amazing technician, but with over 600 recordings and a repertoire as huge as his, he plays much more than speed. He plays "Asturias" very fast, but this piece, although not as fast, is a piece that is much more difficult than meets the eye, and most university professors would only let a pretty advanced player learn it. I used to know it, but looking back, and regret learning it, because even though I could play the notes, I couldn't play it well.

He's also a good sight-reader, and really defines what a virtuoso of guitar is. Although I don't think guitarists like Satriani, Malmsteen, Herman Li, Hendrix, Petrucci, etc. are virtuosos.
Quote by Flying Couch
I'm rather partial to guitarists who make good music.

What this guy said.
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
Quote by The Madcap

He's also a good sight-reader, and really defines what a virtuoso of guitar is. Although I don't think guitarists like Satriani, Malmsteen, Herman Li, Hendrix, Petrucci, etc. are virtuosos.

Now now, they use different techniques but they are technical nonetheless.
Quote by denizenz
Moron, your equation is wrong.

If speed = emotion, then denizenz = correct.

In order to insult me, you would have had to state clearly that speed =/= emotion. Which you didn't do, so you fail.

Just because a solo is fast does not mean that it has emotion. Same thing with a slow solo. Both types of music have emotion in them, it isn't limited by speed.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by The Madcap
John Williams is an amazing technician, but with over 600 recordings and a repertoire as huge as his, he plays much more than speed. He plays "Asturias" very fast, but this piece, although not as fast, is a piece that is much more difficult than meets the eye, and most university professors would only let a pretty advanced player learn it. I used to know it, but looking back, and regret learning it, because even though I could play the notes, I couldn't play it well.

John Williams? The guy who did the Star Wars music?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Page 1 of 4