im trying to replicate John Mayer's black stratocaster which look something like this...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://tdmiller.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/john-mayer-black-strat.jpg&imgrefurl=http://tdmiller.wordpress.com/2007/04/14/john-mayer/&h=442&w=300&sz=44&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=Vnk5BnNy23PGfM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=86&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djohn%2Bmayer%2Bblack%2Bstrat%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

So the body i want to get is this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-American-Fender-Stratocaster-Strat-NITRO-BODY-USA_W0QQitemZ190208743571QQihZ009QQcategoryZ41406QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So after i put the American Strat neck i have and my loaded white aged pickguard and use the sandpaper to make the guitar look worn like Mayer's. Do you guys think that this would be a good body to work around. I only thing is the color is fat black and im not sure if that looks to dull. Thanks! Please help cause this body is ending today and im not sure if i should buy it or not!!!
Quote by marko'd
if you play the guitar, over time aged looks begin to appear on it aswell

I know that, but it doesn't answer my question though
You'd have to refinish it to get a convincing result. From a few meters away, the poly finish currently on the body would be fine.

EDIT:
****, that's a Highway One. I have yet see a well worn example, so I don't know whether it wears similarly to nitro. I do know that replicating natural wear with sandpaper is very difficult.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Apr 1, 2008,
That body's paint will wear more easily, so go for it. I'm not sure about prices, but as far as product, it's what you'd want to get
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by mr_hankey
You'd have to refinish it to get a convincing result. From a few meters away, the poly finish currently on the body would be fine.

EDIT:
****, that's a Highway One. I have yet see a well worn example, so I don't know whether it wears similarly to nitro.

It has a nitro finish not poly.
Would this look alot like Mayer's if i do the sandpaper and it wears a little more???
Quote by zaffie8808
It has a nitro finish not poly.

Yeah, it's 'nitro', but not nitrocellulose lacquer like on older (and Mayer's) strats.
Ok but would the pant look like his??? It looks a little dull in the pic by that's probably just me
Quote by zaffie8808
Ok but would the pant look like his??? It looks a little dull in the pic by that's probably just me

It is dull, but it can be buffed to a shine.
Quote by mr_hankey
Yeah, it's 'nitro', but not nitrocellulose lacquer like on older (and Mayer's) strats.

It is Nitrocellulose lacquer. "Description: Official American Fender Stratocaster Body- American Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster- Select Alder- Thin Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish- 4 lbs, 1 oz- Genuine Fender"

If you're going to give it a fake relic through sanding, the dull, satin finish of the Highway One would/should definitely go better. Although I'm not a fan of relicing, nothing would shout FAKE more than a Glossy or Semi-Glossy body with "worn out", down to bare wood areas.

I'm also curious about how JM's Strat got worn down on the inside curves of the horns. o_0 Even if you gripped/carried your axe by the horns, you must have incredibly acidic or corrosive sweat to wear out the clear coat and paint in that area.

When relicing, patience is key. You can't return what you've taken out; so, plan this carefully.

Good Luck!

Quote by Ippon
It is Nitrocellulose lacquer. "Description: Official American Fender Stratocaster Body- American Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster- Select Alder- Thin Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish- 4 lbs, 1 oz- Genuine Fender"

Yeah, it's really funny. The AVRI's also have "Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish", but they have a poly undercoat, so they won't wear like real nitro anyway. Fender uses 'creative advertising' all the time, so I'd be more surprised if the Highway Ones actually have the finish stated in the specs.