So here's the story...

bought a new bass recently (see my fender mustang review), and all was well and good, except recently I could not get a good sound out of it, that isn't to say the EQing is a problem, just no matter what I played I sounded ****e.
No worries thought I, Im just adjusting to it, so played on my old bass a bit, got some groove going, and all was well...

took my new bass to rehersal,and it was slamming, felt great, played great, really felt like I'd got it down, but a couple of days before my last gig (And the biggest one Ive played) I started sounding rubbish again...and I dont feel my playing at the gig was the best it could of been.

Anyway,was at my mates house the other day, picked up his cheap bass,and was literally on fire, ripped out a stoopidly long intense funky bass medley, started with fingers, threw in some slap (playing it better than Ive ever manged before, and faster) and just being on tip-top form...played till my arm was sore as hell, but felt great...

Since then my groove has totally dissapeared,on any bass I play...mine,my old bass, my gf's bass, my mates bass whatever

and it's driving me mad, I dunno, maybe I need a change in style or something, I've been playing about 2 and a half years on and off now, and I feel everything I come up with is stale and uninteristing and just plain sounds bad, and even playing non-original stuff now sounds horrid and disjointed,anyone got any ideas?? sorry for the sort of rambling wall of text, but I need help, I love playing bass, but right now I cant stand to because my groove has just...gone

woe is me UG, woe is me
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
you lost your mojo baby...
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by Wonthefu
Buy some drums.

That'll keep you busy for a while.

played drums for a while before I got into bass

but I wanted a bass not drums, bass is my love,and tho I know playing drums would be good 1) Im skint and 2) Id rather have my bass groove back
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Maybe it's not that you've lost your groove. Maybe your not used to playing the Mustang so your playing isn't what it used to be when you play it. You'll probably get your groove back when you've sat down and played your arse off with your Mustang. Or it could be that the bass just isn't right for you. If that be the case, what are you doing sitting here? Get off your arse and try some basses!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Wonthefu
Start composing electronic music for a while.

Just do anything that gets you away from bass for a month or two, when you come back it'll be a lot easier to come up with new ideas and get grooving.

yeah...its a good idea,but I cant stand electronic music (was one reason I left my old band, they were going distinctly Nu-Rave) and I cant abandon my band for 2 months...

but at least you're tryin to help, so kudos my man

Im just stuck in some kind of rut

wish I knew why

and Fleaj

its not just the Mustang,it's any bass, and the first time I played it it felt sooo right, and it did for a while, it's just now...no no groove-go
Quote by the humanity
Last edited by skippy_moogoose at Apr 1, 2008,
Find something to do for a while like a week or so, maby more, that has nothing to do with bass. Play bongos or anything else just don't play bass for a while.
Quote by skippy_moogoose
and Fleaj

its not just the Mustang,it's any bass, and the first time I played it it felt sooo right, and it did for a while, it's just now...no no groove-go

If that's the case, then it's probably just a phase, we all get those times when we don't feel we're at our best don't we? You'll probably be better in a few days or so.
Quote by skater dan0
there is a part of me that hopes that maybe it's just my brain is musically progressing,so Im hearing my faults better, something similiar happened before,and then I improved a lot...Im hoping for a repeat
Quote by the humanity
I wouldn't worry about it. Do something over the next few days to take your mind off it. You could play computer games, cook, assassinate Gordon Brown, Go on a hunt for Bin Laden, the world is your oyster.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
I wouldn't worry about it. Do something over the next few days to take your mind off it. You could play computer games, cook, assassinate Gordon Brown, Go on a hunt for Bin Laden, the world is your oyster.

have recently become addicted to Oblivion on Xbox 360, I'm gonna take ur advice and leave it for a bit, come back hopefully with a fresh perspective
Quote by the humanity
I might be wrong, but is it possible that Dr. Evil got a hold of your mojo?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Quote by skippy_moogoose
played drums for a while before I got into bass

but I wanted a bass not drums, bass is my love,and tho I know playing drums would be good 1) Im skint and 2) Id rather have my bass groove back

Then go the cheap route and get a set of drum sticks and make everything your set.

You probably need a few days break from bass. Seriously, go back and find your inner drummer; it will give you a bit of a break and work on your rhythm skills, which are never a bad thing for a bass player.
It may just be 'one of those times' where you aren't at your best, though you want to continue. Make use of this time to work on your theory and technique, so when you start to get inspired again, you have more tools at your disposal. Learning a new technique or compositional idea may trigger something off.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
heya people

so I took people's advice, taken a couple of days off

since posting the thread start Ive plated 30 mins of bass, and that was at 3 am yesterday morning, so not the best time, but the good news is for the first ten mintues (before I started falling asleep ) I was messing with of my bands bass lines (untitled 11 if anyone cares,there'sa liver version on the ol' myspace) becuase Ive got a solo bit in it,that's basically a variation on the main riff, and I want it to be more interesting, and I was groovin away, better than I have in ages.

also started lsitening to Joy Divsion recently, and digging the Peter Hook style of bass playing, because I don't usually play high up on the bass

so got new perspective, and new ideas

Im leaving it again till sunday, that's rehersal day,and trying not to over think it

lots has been happening recently, with moving, gigging, new band etc, Im a stressy guy,if I chill, my groove should return

Ive got a good feeling
cheers for all the help and advice

bass forum FTW
Quote by the humanity