Poll: Which guitar would you pick?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar would you pick?
Squier by Fender Affinity Series Strat
10 19%
Squier by Fender Affinity Series Fat Strat
10 19%
Ibanez GRX20
16 30%
Epiphone SG Special
18 33%
Voters: 54.
I started to learn guitar on acoustic about a week ago. Within a few weeks I'd like to purchase an electric. I'm considering a few choices currently.

Squier by Fender Affinity Series Strat
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510423

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510629

Ibanez GRX20
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar?sku=519417

Epiphone SG Special (discouraged from this one... I really prefer the Strat look)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SGSpecial-Electric-Guitar?sku=517239

All are same price, $150. The Squier Strat has a 3 single coil pickups. The Squier Fat Strat has a humbucker and 2 single coil pickups. The Ibanez GRX20 has 2 humbuckers. The Epiphone SG Special has 2 humbuckers. How does this affect the sound? Right now I'm learning to play basic stuff. But my favorite bands are The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Ok Go, AC/DC, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the Rolling Stones. And I like to think that when I learn to play well enough, I'll need a guitar that's capable of playing that style of music. I appreciate any comments! Thanks!
I have the Fat Strat, sounds great for clean and distorted.
The SSS Strat isn't very good with distortion IMO.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
If you want the neck singlecoil for Chillis and the bridge humbucker for harder rock, the Affinity Fat is great. So is the Yamaha Pacifica 112 - check that out too.
I would go with a Yamaha Pacifica. As long as you dont have a really horrible amp, you should be ok.
I'd say the affinity strat is the way to go, it was my first electric. I've played many many guitar since then owned several others and when it comes to comfort and playability it is still one of my absolute favorite guitars. The affinity strat is made of the same materials as a fender strat so you're not missing out there, I put some vintage noiseless pickups in it and in my opinion it is better than any fender I've played and I've gotten my hands on some fender costom shop guitars before. I'm a big fan of ibanez, not so much epiphone, but I'd say definately get the strat or the fat strat...
i say get the squier SSS strat, thats what i started with

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Ibanez for sure, not even a contest

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
none of those at all.

don't ever buy an epiphone. don't ever buy a squier.

and that's the worst ibanez ever.

consider completely new choices.
If you're going for one of those, Epiphone or Ibanez. My first was a Squier, miiiiisstaaaake!
Epiphone SG is out. It costs $40 more, and I don't like the look. So now it's Squier Strat vs Ibanez GRX20. Ideas?

You'll thank me later
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
sadly i have a
...i think it gives pritty good cleans
i like the feel of it...
but squires really suck
i shoulda done some reserch first
go with the Ibanez
man, i played on a squire afinity for like 4 years. mine was perfectly fine, but i didnt play plugged in very much. if your learning to play, and not performing, the tone is no big deal. squires are good starters.
I have no opinion on this matter.
None of the above, seek to raise your budget by another hundred and get an Epi G-400.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
What amp do you have? Out of those I'd go for the Squier Fat Strat probably. Otherwise, I'd save a little more and get something nicer. The Epiphone G-400 is a great guitar and can be bought new for as little as £175. Also, check out some Telecasters. It's very important that you try before you buy, and that you have a decent amp to begin with. An amp is more important than a guitar for a nice sound. Depending on your budget, look into the Vox Valvetronix range, or if you have more cash and are serious about playing then maybe a Fender Blues Junior.

Good luck.
i agree with the one who said raise a few extra bucks and grab an epiphone g-400 sg. that is a great guitar that you will be proud of. but if you go the strat route (which i recommend over the ibanez) get the fat strat so you can learn some stuff with some distortion good luck
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

also the vox valvetronics line of amps are excellent! very cheap too.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by yellowfrizbee

You'll thank me later

OMG! I SERIOUSLY WANT THAT! I'm dead serious! not trying to joke or anything, I want that guitar!
id go for a yahama pacifica too, or save up for a slightly better ibanez rg, with a FIXED bridge
Save up $300 and get a mexican fender fat strat or a Epi SG G400. The extra money is worth it. My first guitar was a used Epiphone SG G310, it was terrible but cheap (the electrics were horrid). Once I found a left handed G400 to play I realized what a piece the G310 was, I sold that G310 and bought the G400. Go to a music store and play a mexican fender and a squire you will instantly be able to tell the difference.