I tried to learn "Great Gig in the Sky" by Floyd, off of tabs provided by UG. I am also very familiar with the song's bassline, but when I played it it just sounded wrong. Did they use microeffects, a non-standard gauge of string, a certain playing method, a combo of some of these? I really want to learn it, but have it sound right. Help plz?
on great gig.. i dont think theres any palm muting anywhere..
as for the bassline.. its really soft, so i doubt hes using a pick...

how do you play it ?
Dude.

All he ever used in the halcyon days was a Precision bass with FLATS and a pick. Pick near the bridge. Done.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Dude.

All he ever used in the halcyon days was a Precision bass with FLATS and a pick. Pick near the bridge. Done.

yeah..just do this..we're all prety sure he used a pick.just because ts soft doesnt mean its not with a pick
Roger Waters uses a pick 99.9% of the time. The moddess has spoken.

And yes, his sound was flatwounds on a P Bass. Roger's not a terribly complicated bassist, in fact he only took up bass because in his words (not mine) he was "demoted" in the band.
^But at least he wasn't a drummer. Also his words.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Sorry about not responding, what doesnt" sound right is that kind of funkish sound that makes everything sound lower.
Roger used flat wound strings, as mentioned, and that makes a big difference. when learning a cover tune, if you play the part right, the sound dosen't have to be the exact same tone, to be effective. i like to sound like me, playing their songs.
Where can I buy some of these mystical flat wound strings? Do they cost alot? I jhope not.
Warning...you may have unleashed the Rotosound brigade by asking this. But I use the following Rotos...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rotosound-RS77LD-Jazz-Bass-Strings-100282668-i1122932.gc

And they can be had anywhere good bass gear is sold...and btw, I've seen those much cheaper at my local shop and on the internet.