So, my friend gave me a Boss CS-3, and I'm not sure what to use it for. I know what compression is, but I don't know if it would be applicable for my style. So, is compression a useful effect with lots of distortion? Or would I be better off selling this for other gear?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
It could be used to sustain a note but will most likley increase any noise your amp puts out on a distortion channel.

I would tend to sell it and get something with the money if I was in your position.
1. Sell it
2. Get money to me
3. ???
4. Profit

But, seriously, get a noise supressor if you don't have one, it'll make your sound much better
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
^ I use a SS amp, I gotta work to get feedback when I want it.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Oh...then sell it and save up for a tube amp.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
^ Nevarrr. I'm quite fond of my VS. Transistors sound more gr1m.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
if you can set it correctly ive been told it can act as a limited noisegate, but generally if you want to even out your signal a lil bit it will work for anything
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Get someone who knows to show you how to use it. If you screw up compression it sounds crap.
Oh you like teh gr1m and frostb1tt3n riffs...then fine then, do what the others say...I obviously can't do much help, now

Quote by eggsandham2