Hey,
I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now through my Austin strat copy and im looking for an upgrade. My price range is under 1000$ and ive narrowed my choices to a Gibson SG Special Faded and a higher level Fender Telecaster.
I'm just looking for some opinions on which one is a better buy that would be very helpful..
i wud buy the sg but i guess you shud play them both and see which one is more comfortable
what kind of music are you wanting to play? I think you're more limited with the telecaster.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
what kind of music do you play and amp do you have?
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
sg
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
They're two completely different guitars in every way.
If you're not big on a twangy crisp sound, don't get the tele
If you're not keen on the gritty, heavier sound, don't get the SG

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
The best thing you can do is try both guitars and see which is better for you.Im a telecaster fan personally, I got a fender 72' tele a few years ago and I love it, but once again its all down to personal taste
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
the main thing i don't like about sgs are that they are neck heavy, but its ot to bad cuz theyr so light
id go for the sg just cuz i like humbuckers more and most teles have single coils( unles you get a deluxe, like i have, which has humbuckers)
also, i wouldn't recomend getting a whamy bar for either on, just cuz they get the guitar out of tune
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by robt18
You can get an SG for under $1000? BUY!

It's the Gibson SG Special Faded..... they're like $600.

To TS.... like everyone else said, if you tell us your style and amp that'd help a bunch-a-crunch.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I tried one of those '72 Deluxe Teles (2 humbuckers) last week. The neck was really thick... it felt nice, though.

The tone was ****in' amazing...!
i play mostly classic/hard rock and some clean stuff like guns n roses,beatles,jimi hendrix, acdc I use a Line 6 Spider 3 15 watt amp
and i think the sg would probably be better for that kind of stuff right?
but my city is pretty limited im not sure if i would get the opportunity to test both
Last edited by renzo23 at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by skimtildeath32
no doubt the sg better fits ur style. teles are for country while sg's are for rock and roll.

not exactly. Alot of rock musicians use telecasters. The first led zeppelin album was recorded on a telecaster. Its a different sound though, and the SG is better for heavier music.
Quote by dancesisidance
They're two completely different guitars in every way.
If you're not big on a twangy crisp sound, don't get the tele
If you're not keen on the gritty, heavier sound, don't get the SG

the problem is im pretty big on both of those sounds
I'd go with SG, but i'm biased. Seriously though, try some of the fadeds, but beware the QC on some of them can be shifty. There will be others though that are absolute gems.
Gibson.
SG, i play alot o gnr on my sg and it sounds awesome! and i have the exact same amp, so sg
go for the tele...

it will be great, with a good overdrive...

plus the sg is neck heavy, and so not versatile
LIVE
2008 Fender Baja Telecaster (Good guitar buy one)
1979 Fender Stratocaster
1993 Fender Duo-Sonic
Peavey Studio Pro
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Quote by renzo23
Hey,
I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now through my Austin strat copy and im looking for an upgrade. My price range is under 1000$ and ive narrowed my choices to a Gibson SG Special Faded and a higher level Fender Telecaster.
I'm just looking for some opinions on which one is a better buy that would be very helpful..

I'd suggest trying the Baja Telecaster. It really is a wonderful instrument.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
id go for the tele. my problem with the SG is the neck pickup placement. its further from the neck than other guitars and therefor has a different sound. thats why i dont go for 24 fret guitars either. the neck pickup should be somewhere under where the 24th fret harmonics would be. but 24 fret guitars and SGs have it further away from that point. so imo doesnt have a "true" neck tone. but hey, i use the neck alot so thats just my opinion. its not really that big of a difference in tone but its there. plus i just like teles lol.
ok so after playing them ive decided that ill probably get a gibson sg standard, but what i want to know is if it will sound good (better then this) "http://www.austingtr.com/products.php?CatID=1&PageID=15" on my line 6 spider 3 15
Quote by renzo23
ok so after playing them ive decided that ill probably get a gibson sg standard, but what i want to know is if it will sound good (better then this) "http://www.austingtr.com/products.php?CatID=1&PageID=15" on my line 6 spider 3 15

Oh dear god. Screw getting a new guitar, get a new amp.

I'd say tele if it was me. But neither of those guitars should be put through that amp. Amp is more important for tone.
Apples and oranges. They're different guitars. They play, sound and look different. Try them out and see what you like.

My advice to you is to get a better amp because the amplifier makes a bigger difference tonally speaking as apposed to a guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
well i really need a new guitar too beacuase mine is falling apart, so does anyone know a good amp i can get with a 800$ SG special thats under 1500% total
Get the SG
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Quote by renzo23
well i really need a new guitar too beacuase mine is falling apart, so does anyone know a good amp i can get with a 800$ SG special thats under 1500% total

What genres?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i play hard rock, metal, classic rock.. and ive already decided on the sg but im trying to decide on a special and a better amp or a standard
Quote by renzo23
i play hard rock, metal, classic rock.. and ive already decided on the sg but im trying to decide on a special and a better amp or a standard

Crate Palomino series, Peavey Classic series.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by renzo23

I'd suggest getting: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Lite-Ash-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511339X

(don't worry about it being blem) and spending the rest on either a Peavey Classic 30 or getting a used Classic 50.
Check out the Epiphone Prophecy SG

But it's apples and oranges.

I'd go with the SG myself because I perfer humbuckers in the long run.
I don't even shred
Quote by robt18
You can get an SG for under $1000?, BUY!

+999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999...