My band now has a new drummer. Well, our first really. Its all pretty exciting. The only issue we are having is that he's never played with anyone, my guitarist has never played with a drummer, and i've never played bass with a drummer.

We practised together on Sunday, and surprisingly got through an original song from start to finish in bout 3 hours. Some parts were a bit wobbly but we just kept going over them till everything fit.

The great thing is, the parts he came up with were so different to what I was expecting/hearing in my head. Hearing our songs with drum parts was just so awesome, and the drummer seems really motivated to play creatively.

I understand that we all have a lot of work to do and we've just gotta keep hammering it out till everyone clicks. But are there any tips that any of you have for making this whole process easier?
my experience is just practice with ur drummer as much as possible, in particular, it is important that you, as the bassist, really lock in with them, so as to create a tight aa possible rythm section

Id suggest you and him practice together, without the guitarist to really get that tightness...you'll hear the locking in/lack of locking in better

congrats btw, playing in a band is great fun
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by djmay71
what made you think that this was the right place to talk about drumming?

What made you think it wasnt? Its a bass forum, and in the context of how to play BASS with a drummer, I cant think of a more appropriate place.

Skippy_mongoose: Thanks for the advice mate. Just to clarify though, we are a metal band, so the guitar is playing a lot of rhythm parts too. I think it would be more helpful to us a band for all of us to practice together. I totally understand what you are saying though, and if we all had more time Id try to make a separate practice session for just me and the drummer.
Quote by djmay71
what made you think that this was the right place to talk about drumming?

Because he needs to know how to lock with a drummer as the "invincible rhythm section" Mr. Guitar man.

Its a perfectly legitimate thread.

And to the TS--playing with just the drummer will lock you both together and will make the band that much greater. Once the drummer gets the feel of the song, my advice is don't fight the drummer on the beat. They are the ultimate timekeeper in the band and if you build on top of that, the band is going to sound wonderful.

And watch your drummer for physical cues as to when he's going to throw in a fill or a splash and you should react accordingly to balance that on bass. For the most part, you will be playing to the kick pedal of the bass drum and a cymbal. Listen to both those elements and you can't go wrong.

By doing that you make it dead easy for the guitarist to put the icing on the cake.
hey dude..just practice excessively with your drummer..even when you guys aren't doing a practice all together..just call him up and say yu wanna play and just get that sound realy nice and tight
Thanks guys.

Anarkee: I did notice that there were times were it felt like i was "fighting" the drummer's beat. I guess I have to learn to bend a little bit on this, just hard after being the only rhythm instrument. Also, you mentioned reacting to the drummer's fills, what exactly do you mean by that? Play with the fill (ie add a fill of my own) or drop out to make the drum fill more apparent, or either/or as long as I do something to acknowledge that the fill is there?

There were a few moments when we all locked in together and it sounded great. If we can get this song down from start to finish on Sunday, we'll record and I'll put up the clip.
Last edited by to_the_grave at Apr 1, 2008,
you guys' just keep practicing as much as possible. it takes time to develope chemistry between band-mates. before too long you'll get a feel for each others style.
it sounds like you guy's are off to a good start. get a few practices down, and post some clips in your profile. congrats on the new band!
Quote by to_the_grave
Also, you mentioned reacting to the drummer's fills, what exactly do you mean by that? Play with the fill (ie add a fill of my own) or drop out to make the drum fill more apparent, or either/or as long as I do something to acknowledge that the fill is there?

If the drummer is going to do a fill or a run, its not the time for you to go crazy with bass pyrotechnics. Sonically, you are going to create alot of unpleasant noise if you don't balance each other out.. That's the point where you are going to hold down the steady beat and they are going to play over you.

Now granted I live and am married to my drummer, so its fairly easy to know when he's going to be suddenly possessed by Keith Moon and go off on a fit of tom tom fury. But after you play a while with a drummer, you begin to get this second sense of when they will want to come to the forefront of the rhythm line and you should drop back to something simpler or complimentary.
Yea bro, it takes time. Ive been playing with my drummer for like 5 years now, and we both know exactly what the other person is doing/thinking. Its creepy how alike-minded you two will get if you have the right chemistry. Almost like two bodies, one brain.
Quote by Sly Taco
Yea bro, it takes time. Ive been playing with my drummer for like 5 years now, and we both know exactly what the other person is doing/thinking. Its creepy how alike-minded you two will get if you have the right chemistry. Almost like two bodies, one brain.

Back in my band glory days I held it as a truth that my relationship with my drummer was deeper than the one with my girlfriend.

Then again, she threatened to kill me.

And moved to Indiana.

So, I guess it makes sense, seeing as how my drummer wasn't crazy like her.

...Except he quit the band to join the Marines.

Er. Give me a minute to myself please, I must reflect. [reflects] Ok, let's start over: I've always said that your relationship with your drummer is stronger than the one with your mate!

Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
[reflects] Ok, let's start over: I've always said that your relationship with your drummer is stronger than the one with your mate!

I think I solved that conundrum quite nicely by marrying my drummer. Of course for most of you that isn't going to work very well..

oops!
in the last 16 yrs i've gone through about 5 day jobs, 4 girlfriends, 4 bass guitars, two daughters, and 1 main guitar player, and 1 main drummer. my drummer and my guitar player are closer than family, except for my daughters. i'm a creep, i'm a weirdo, what the hell am i doing here? ...
i don't belong here.
Quote by anarkee
I think I solved that conundrum quite nicely by marrying my drummer. Of course for most of you that isn't going to work very well..

oops!

Just a-rub it right in Anarkee. Like I'm a Thanksgiving beef roast to be basted in self-loathing and to be served with a garnish of utter shame. And green tea. Because green is the color of envy. And I like tea.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

why do people keep calling me mongoose

it's double o

anyways, TS, yeah practtcing with your guitarist is important, but u urself said that u 2 have played together for a long time

so get some jam time with ur drummer in, and soon u guys will be ripping it out

it'll be groove-tastic I say
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
^The name looks like mongoose. EMBRACE IT.

Anyway, other than time the only thing I recommend is to stare at that drummer like cleavage. Well, maybe that's a bad example because you can't just stare at cleavage it's more of a take it in, turn away kind of thing... maybe a blind person's cleavage.

That is just offensive.

Anyway, visual contact is key. You begin to start knowing what the drummer's going to do just by looking at him. Also, keep an ear for the hi-hat and the kick drum. Those are your two "lock in factors".
Quote by WhyLater
Just a-rub it right in Anarkee. Like I'm a Thanksgiving beef roast to be basted in self-loathing and to be served with a garnish of utter shame. And green tea. Because green is the color of envy. And I like tea.

Dude.

*hugs WhyLater*

Erm. TS, it takes time to get connected. I've been with some drummers for a good year before we've connected musically. You've only had one rehearsal with him, so chill out.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Well to be completly honnest. you and your drummer should talk about who influences your playing most. and if you drum as well it'll give you more of a sense of what his fills in the songs will be like so you can make a part to fit with it.
Oh I wasnt stressing about it at all. Im just super excited.

Thanks guys, especially to those of you who said to listen to the kick and hi-hat. Thats helpful because I got a little lost in some parts. I'll keep you guys posted on our journey to becoming a crushing rhythm section.
Quote by Sly Taco
I think the kick drum is your lifeline for playing in the pocket.

No, you're thinking of the offensive line.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

I like to view the purpose of the bass to connect the rhythm(drums) with the melody(guitar/vocals/?) in the catchiest and most imaginative way possible.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom