Ok, I've recently been looking for a new guitar (for after I get an amp, which I already have decided on, the guitar part is starting to change pretty frequently lol) and I'm in a mood for an LP. So I'm obviously going to go Epi, Gibson is way to expensive for me, and I haven't heard enough about Agile's for me to have a terrible amount of confidence in them.

The thing with the LP though is on a lot of them I REALLY don't like the pick guard, IMO it looks way too big and out of place. There are a few exceptions though. But my question is if I do get one with the pick guard I can just take it off then put the screws back in, correct? It might look kinda dorky, and I probably will just end up leaving it on if I buy one.

I'm currently looking at this one, but the pick guard on this really doesn't bother me. I love it. It's an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Antique Ivory.

Here it is on GC website

I was wondering tho will it get even more of that "faded" look to it over time? One of my friends said white guitars always end up that off-white yellow-ish color with time. Even though this is already the antique ivory color will it still fade or will it stay about the same? Honestly I like the look of it, it's very distinguished IMO. It wouldn't bother me if it faded, I just was wondering if that was true to colors that weren't TOTALLY white.

Also, I was thinking about dropping a set of EMG's (81/85, of course) or maybe the new SD Blackout's into it because it would be made of better wood than the B.C. Rich I'm looking at (it's nato which apparently is "bad" wood, but it would get covered up by the EMG's because they're kinda polar). But I was thinking of those in it when I got it, which would you suggest of the two? I'm usually a die-hard EMG guy but with this guitar I want the natural tone, so I was thinking that would be a happy medium. Don't say go passive, I don't hate them or anything, I just love actives! But the thing if I decided EMG's is there's talk that I'll have to do some routing. This won't be a huge problem but is it true? I'm really thinking I'll go blackouts anyway, I've heard great things about them and it seems like a ton of artists are switching to them over their past EMG's.

Ok, I know that was a ton of question's, but thanks to anyone who can answer any! It's not like you have to give a paragraph on each lol
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 1, 2008,
LP pickguards are stupidly easy to take off, and I think they serve no purpose, not being under the strings.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The pick guards do come off, I have the epiphone custon lp and my pickguard comes off by just 2 screws, so it is easy. as for the rest of your questions im not sure, sorry bout that
^I don't see how there'd not be any holes. And I also don't see why the screws wouldn't fit right back into the holes.
Oh yeah I know there is going to be holes (it was a rhetorical question) and I know it wouldn't be hard to just put them back in, but is it going to look really goofy with the two screws there? Does anyone have a picture of a LP with the guard off and the screws fully in? More than anything I'm just having trouble envisioning that in my head.
Here's a picture with a clear pickguard, showing the holes clearly:

If it bothers you a lot, you can take your guitar to a girl's supply store and match the finish to some nail polish and then just dab a droplet onto the screw head after you screwed it in, so the head is smoothly domed with the same off-white colour. It'll hold up alright and comes straight off if you prod at it with a screwdriver. An upside is that you can use the nail polish for emergency jack repairs and fickle pickup height screws.
Haha I don't think it'll bother me too much. Honestly I think with this one if I did get my hands on it I might keep it on. Thanks for the picture, I guess for some reason I was thinking there were more screws than that, idk, I've only ever played like two LP's and neither of them have had a pick guard.

Ok, so the aging/fading question and the EMG routing still stands, anyone know about these? The EMG's I guess are square (?) and that's why they need to be routed, but on GC they look to be the same shape as the blackouts and they are supposed to fit into almost anything, so I'm kinda confused. I'm still really thinking blackouts, but now I just want to know for the sake of knowing lol.
Quote by edusty2010
Haha I don't think it'll bother me too much. Honestly I think with this one if I did get my hands on it I might keep it on. Thanks for the picture, I guess for some reason I was thinking there were more screws than that, idk, I've only ever played like two LP's and neither of them have had a pick guard.

Ok, so the aging/fading question and the EMG routing still stands, anyone know about these? The EMG's I guess are square (?) and that's why they need to be routed, but on GC they look to be the same shape as the blackouts and they are supposed to fit into almost anything, so I'm kinda confused. I'm still really thinking blackouts, but now I just want to know for the sake of knowing lol.

the emgs active humbuckers are the same size as other passive/active humbuckers.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
EMGs and Blackouts will drop right in. Why would they reguire a different routing than the standard humbucker? Sure, most humbuckers have rounded bobbins, but you'll notice that the bezel/ring/whatever had squared corners. And the rout will most likely be spaceous enough. The one real issue is- will there be enough room in the control cavity for a 9v battery? That can't be answered without having a look inside the cavity.

If you go and try it out before buying, bring a philips head screwdriver (a size 2, I think) and a 9v battery, and ask if you can have a look under the cover. If you can drop the battery in there and comfortable put the cover back on, you should be good to go.

And no- an Epiphone probably won't age since they use a polyurethane finish, which won't turn yellow from exposure to UV light (as far as I know), whereas a real Gibson will be finished with nitrocellulose.
^That's what I thought GnGonzalesjoe, I guess I was just hearing bull****. Oh well, atleast now I know if I decide on EMG's I won't have to cut my guitar up!

Now my only question is the aging thing. You guys know what I'm talking about right? How like if you buy a plain white guitar it goes off white over time to an "antique" finish? I wouldn't think that this one would do that because it's already "antiqued".

EDIT:

Just read the post above, that's what I was thinking with the pups! I was like wtf dude but oh well. Someone was probably just talking random ****. That's good that it won't age, I really like the finish on this from the picture atleast, can't imagine it being any less than beautiful in person.

I'd be kinda concerned about the battery, but I have a friend who currently has 3 Epi LP's, all with EMG's. I've looked in the cavity's to see if he crammed everything in there, but they have more than enough room, so I'm not too worried about it, but taking a screw driver and a battery JIC isn't a bad idea at all.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 1, 2008,
^With EMG/other actives, you need different pots, namely 25k pots. You can't use passive pup pots with active pickups.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
^With EMG/other actives, you need different pots, namely 25k pots. You can't use passive pup pots with active pickups.

Yes I was aware of this, so check for not only room for the battery but spare room for the pots? I seriously think it will have room, I've seen tons of EMG equipped LP's, probably more so than not around my friends (we're active junkies lol) but you're right checking won't be a bad idea!
^Don't the pots come with the pickups? Anyways, I don't see a good reason why those pots would take up more space then the stock ones. And even so, the Epi LPs I've seen uncovered were plenty spaceous.
^they look to be the same size as normal pots (just checked on stewmac), so there should be room.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Yeah, I asked my buddy to check today (the one with a ton of LP's) and he said that they're only slightly bigger than the normal ones, and that I shouldn't be worried about it. They do come with all pots etc, so like I said I'm not worried, especially after I took a drive over and looked at one, the cavity's are HUGE! I'm seriously thinking of maybe somewhere way down along the line putting a boost switch like Alexi had in one lol! But seriously guys thanks for all the help, I'm thinking I'll try a few guitars set up with blackouts just to hear the difference, but currently that's my choice.

I think it's going to be really badass when it's all finished, I was thinking about getting a gold truss rod cover on it too just to match lol. Well like I said before thanks a million guys.