i was reading on a google search that there was a website where you can learn how to paint guitar bodies with spray cans. i think its cool and they make nice guitars but im worried that its not a good way to paint guitars. like wont the wood expand and stuff in different weather conditions causing the paint to crack and stuff? its stuff like this that worries me for my project.

what do you guys have to say about it?
Dont

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
spray cans apply the paint, but it spits and sprays really uneven. bad idea.
fight the power that be
Depends what you're looking for and how much time you're willing to spend. My kitty has matted fur but he's still the bestest pillow in the whole big world.
it's up to you. that won't affect the sound, not that i would see, but it would start to wear off. if you got it how you liked, i suppose you could apply a clear gloss coat over it.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
its says to apply a clear coat over it when your done painting but a friend of mine says that the weater would expand the wood and crack the paint. thats what im worried about and im trying to redo a 1975 gibson les paul body paint job.
I wouldn't recommend it on something very Valuable, but i don't know what people are saying not to use a rattle can finish. the majority of people on here do it because either they cant afford proper spray equipment, or because they wouldn't need it for the number of guitars that they paint. I spray with a pretty nice spray system and i've seen people spray much better finishes with auto paints than I could do.
Quote by leader01
its says to apply a clear coat over it when your done painting but a friend of mine says that the weater would expand the wood and crack the paint. thats what im worried about and im trying to redo a 1975 gibson les paul body paint job.

Crash Matto, who painted 3 of Clapton's Crashocasters and a bunch of John Mayer's Strats used Krylon, Rustoleum, etc. spraycans.

Check out some of his work for the Fender Custom Shop: http://www.modernguitars.com/CRASH/archives/000187.html

You can do it with rattle cans, I did it, but don't expect a perfect finish. Expect to use about a can of each color you want to do.

The trick is all in the preparation. You have to spend a LOT of time making sure that the surface is perfectly flat and has no imperfections in it before you start. These can be filled in with a simple wood putty. Any imperfection in the wood, such as a nick or a ding, will be magnified when put under finish. You also must move very slowly, applying an even coat. Try to sand after a few coats to make sure that you maintain an even layer, it will save you time when it comes to the final sanding/polishing.

The main problem with rattle cans is the fact that they were not designed to lay down a perfectly consistent spray. Some parts of the spray are going to put down more paint that others, and this must be taken into account. Also, when the rattle cans get low they have a tendancy to spit, causing uneven paint distribution and drips. Any easy way to get around this is to go to a local automotive body shop and seeing if they will spray it for you.

You have no need to worry about cracking. All paint finishes have some give to them when it comes to a changing climate. But I'm hoping that you don't leave your guitars outside, so I wouldn't worry about that. Every finish that you will try is designed to move. The chips and the cracks that you see in finishes come after years and years of use, not a few months.

I would not try to do a rattle can finish on a vintage guitar, just because if you ever want to sell your guitar as vintage, it is better to have the original paint on it, or at least a proffessionally done paint job. But if it is a guitar that you just want to spruce up, then I say go ahead. It is a relatively cheap project that can be alot of fun. I would do it.

If you wanna see pictures of mine, I can try to find some. I never did do the final polishing with it, and have since removed the paint, but I know I have pictures somewhere.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
well that makes sense. so if i try to repaint the les paul to a custom paint job and try to sell it, it wont sell as much as it should?
it worked really well for me

it hasnt cracked or anything yet and i highly doubt it will...
im not sure if the wood of a guitar can expand enough to crak the paint, if anything would the paint not expand with the guitar?

yah just take your time spraying several light coats over the body, it should be fine
dont rush like i did and royally fcuk up and then having to sand everything down and redo it all, that freakin annoying
i used krylon on my frankenstrat and it worked out just fine.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by leader01
well that makes sense. so if i try to repaint the les paul to a custom paint job and try to sell it, it wont sell as much as it should?

Yeah, unless you paint it a solid color (or a sweet design), you usually can't sell it for more, especially if the guitar is a vintage. If it is a vintage guitar, you can usually sell it for more with the original paint job.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
your gonna repaint a 75 gibson? are you crazy?

*pinches self* keep the original paint job man, especially if your gonna sell it!!!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
if you paint it glossy it wont be that great unless you are experianced, if you go matte its alot easier. Iv done both and i messed up big w/ glossy (2 times) before i sanded and went matte, alot easier.

my 2 cents
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd