I want to get the new blackout pickups. I have a LTD EX thats made of agathis wood. Since this is "cheap" wood, would it be worth it, or would I just waste money.?
Waste of money. Agathis is a bad tone wood.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Waste of money on Agathis... But if your looking to covering up bad wood the best pickup is going to be an EMG(active). You can pretty much stick them in anything and they will still sound like an EMG. Different woods do change there tone but not drastically like passives.
Quote by xeperset
just to bring some controversy.. some top luthiers believe the pickup to be far more important than the wood. In other words don't worry about the wood : http://www.guitarnation.com/articles/calkin.htm

Did you notice it said "Heretic" at the the top?

I think mohagony has the richest tone, but generally I find guitars with alder bodies and maple necks are designed more for speed and playability.
Quote by FinalDivinity
Did you notice it said "Heretic" at the the top?

I think mohagony has the richest tone, but generally I find guitars with alder bodies and maple necks are designed more for speed and playability.

Speed and playability are determined by the player and things like design, not really wood.
Also, to the kid who said EMGs are better because they are active, SD Blackouts are active too and considered by many to be better than EMGs.

Anywho, for the OP, it depends on what you play. If you are going to drench your guitar with fuzz and distortion than they will definately improve the tone. Also once you install them, you will always be able to install them in another guitar so they won't be a waste of money.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by RHCPfan01
Also, to the kid who said EMGs are better because they are active, SD Blackouts are active too and considered by many to be better than EMGs.

BUT EMG's are somewhat polar, meaning they sound pretty consistent in all guitars. Hence why people say you put EMG's in two guitars and you might as well only have one guitar haha! So as an example lets take a LP made of mahogany, and one made of Nato (eastern Mahogany, it's not that great) and put the same two active EMG's in both. They're not going to sound EXACTLY alike, but they will sound CLOSER than if you put Blackouts in them because Blackouts bring out the tone wood more than EMG's. So, if you did put the BO in your guitar TC, you would still hear that bad wood. If you went with EMG's you wouldn't hear it near as much.

Which would I suggest? Well, I'm actually thinking about putting one of the two mentioned pickups here in my next guitar, but I'm thinking about a mahogany body LP, so I want the wood to be a bit more prominent, but because you have a pretty cheap wood, I would say go for EMG's. Seriously, I love them. They are truly THE heavy metal pickup, and can pull INSANE amounts of gain. Plus if you tweak them right you can get pretty good cleans out of an 85 or a 60 in the neck. (or an 81 with coil tap)
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 1, 2008,