Poll: Do you think it is possible?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think it is possible?
Yes
40 69%
No
8 14%
Meh
10 17%
Voters: 58.
So, I've been thinking about this today

do you actually think it is possible to terraform Mars?

because I have seen a lot of good arguments on both sides, and it really is a fascinating thought isn't it?, creating a second habitable planet in this solar system.

so that is my question, do you think it is, or ever will be possible?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Almost anything is possible. Yes was can terraform mars, we just need to develop the means to do so.

However, We also have to make sure we don't beat the **** out of each other along the way so we can actually get to that point.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan

Alvarez RD-8
Ibanez Jet King 2
Yes I think its possible. It ll take a butt load of time and a butt load of resources, but I believe its possible.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Pinkbelly
Almost anything is possible. Yes was can terraform mars, we just need to develop the means to do so.

However, We also have to make sure we don't beat the **** out of each other along the way so we can actually get to that point.

well no, I have seen pretty good reasons why it would never be possible, I just don't think it is a clear cut as your answer
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

lol we shall destroy every planet in this universe!
"This is for the radio, so i better chill
They wont play it, if it go get ill
But im like that and thats an actually fact
Because the street is wher my heart is at"
Depends. We're going to need some sort of massive device. Preferably a Doomsday device.......
The means are there to do so, but I don't see how it could benefit us.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
i dunno, it might take too much of our planet's resources, more than we might have, and it won' payoff because mars has no resroces except sand, iron and water, we have enough of that
Quote by Godsmack_IV
you also disappointed that Project Virgle was just a prank?

part of me, yes

though I'd much rather prefer to... as they say, "go down with the ship"
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by dudetheman
The means are there to do so, but I don't see how it could benefit us.

a place to allow a second chance for humanity to start fresh, this time taking into full account the outcome of our actions

a place for humanity to branch out, and begin taking a greater interest in the universe around us

maybe I'm too idealistic, but that is a pretty great thing to think about
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98
a place to allow a second chance for humanity to start fresh, this time taking into full account the outcome of our actions

or a place lacking much of an environment, and any plants and animals to kill. basically a place we cant completely destroy.
I posted this in a different thread before;

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080331/sc_space/spaceradiationtoodeadlyformarsmission

Even though that says what it does I think we probably can.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Quote by daytripper75
or a place lacking much of an environment, and any plants and animals to kill. basically a place we cant completely destroy.

So we have to resort to cannibalism?

Or Soylent Green.
It probably is, but let's not turn it into another klendathu. I mean earth.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by daytripper75

well that would be the point of terraforming wouldn't it?
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

I think we may be able to at some point in the future, we can't even get humans there at all ATM, but it will take some large leaps in technology and once we get there I can see it taking hundreds of years before the the planet is completely habitable.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I think that the main problem with inhabiting mars is the fact that it has very little atmosphere, so to inhabit it we would need to give it an atmosphere and I have no idea how you would do that, and secondly mars is a lot colder than us so we would have a lot of dificulty growing crops because we would need greenhouses.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Boogie Man
I think that the main problem with inhabiting mars is the fact that it has very little atmosphere, so to inhabit it we would need to give it an atmosphere and I have no idea how you would do that, and secondly mars is a lot colder than us so we would have a lot of dificulty growing crops because we would need greenhouses.

you are right about the time it would take, but adding the atmosphere and bringing up the temperature would come hand in hand
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98
you are right about the time it would take, but adding the atmosphere and bringing up the temperature would come hand in hand

To a small degree adding an atmoshpere would raise the temperature, but A it would take thousands of years, and B most of the temerature problem is that it's so far from the sun.

also how the hell would you get an atmosphere those gasses don't just appear out of no where, you would have to take them from earth or something, which to me seems just redicolous

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Boogie Man
To a small degree adding an atmoshpere would raise the temperature, but A it would take thousands of years, and B most of the temerature problem is that it's so far from the sun.

also how the hell would you get an atmosphere those gasses don't just appear out of no where, you would have to take them from earth or something, which to me seems just redicolous

Mars has an atmosphere, the problem is that it's 98% CO2
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98
Mars has an atmosphere, the problem is that it's 98% CO2

Then according to recent research it should be very warm, but its not its freezing cold, hence the problem is it's distance from the sun

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Boogie Man
Then according to recent research it should be very warm, but its not its freezing cold, hence the problem is it's distance from the sun

there is also the issue that it's atmosphere isn't dense enough, which has more to do with it than anything, also, water is very responsible for maintaining a steady temperature, but I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly what it would entail

but I'm glad you are actually arguing a point rather than giving a yes/no/meh answer
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

It is feasible but highly impracticle. In order to increase atmospheric density the planetary mass must be increased. When the technology to do that becomes available it would be much easier to place a moon in orbit around Venus to deplete its atmosphere and make it more habitable.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.