So, a friend of mine just got a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Solo 50 Head. For a while I've been thinking about getting a new amp, because I have a 75 watt Line 6 Spyder III amp. Now, my friend just got a 1x12 cab for his head. I was wondering if I could plug a tube head into my solid state amp, with the solid state amp on clean, using it as the cab...and if I wanted more distortion I could add distortion, using the solid state amp like a pedall. This may be a really stupid idea, but I just want opinions.
Ibanez...and Tama drums...are the coolest.
Quote by I<3Pie
So, a friend of mine just got a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Solo 50 Head. For a while I've been thinking about getting a new amp, because I have a 75 watt Line 6 Spyder III amp. Now, my friend just got a 1x12 cab for his head. I was wondering if I could plug a tube head into my solid state amp, with the solid state amp on clean, using it as the cab...and if I wanted more distortion I could add distortion, using the solid state amp like a pedall. This may be a really stupid idea, but I just want opinions.

sure, you could.....but its all kinds of wrong, and will show your noobness.

What you can do with most amps (not sure about Line 6), is disconnect the speaker from the amp, and connect it to the tube head. Gotta make sure the ohms are right, and wattage, etc......honestly its not reccommended.
well I'm just trying to think outside of the box, because I really don't have much money, and buying a cab is gonna kill with any decent head. right now I think it'd be a waiste of money to buy an amp, when before any possibility of getting famous at all would come, I'd probably have to get another one. Plus, I totally need to be able to match my lead guitarist's Mesa, which is pretty hard to do with my Line 6.
Nope, some amps have a line in, or a jack at the back where the speaker is plugged in, but can be unplugged and pluged into another head, but the spiders have neither, the purpose of them was to make a cheap practice amp so they didnt include many features found on most amps.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by I<3Pie
well I'm just trying to think outside of the box, because I really don't have much money, and buying a cab is gonna kill with any decent head. right now I think it'd be a waiste of money to buy an amp, when before any possibility of getting famous at all would come, I'd probably have to get another one. Plus, I totally need to be able to match my lead guitarist's Mesa, which is pretty hard to do with my Line 6.

what do you mean match? Volume or tone?

you probably want a diff. sound than your other guitarisit.

If you are just looking for volume.....when I was about 14 i did it kurt cobain style, I bought a 2x12 cab from radio chack for $89. A generic power amp, and used my pedals as a pre amp. Look on craigslist for cheap, loud stuff.

Like the guy above me said, your amp is a prectice amp, and not really to be used in a band.
I mean match volume. Plus, if we pretended that I had the exact same amp as my lead guitarist, he has one guitar with Gibson Burstbucks, and another with stock Ibanez pickups (probably going to change them to DiMarzios) and I have EMGs, and that would be a tone difference within itself.