ive been thinking more and more about doing music in college and maybe even majoring in it because when i think about it its really the only thing i find interesting to learn. i was wondering if anyone can share experience of what taken music/majoring in music in college is like and whats to be expected and then beyond that with realistic career opportunities. obviously im not going to be some amazing guitar player in a band but i know thats not the only way to make a career in music im just wondering what some other successful examples might be. thanks for the help in advance

EDIT: oh and also some good music schools that arent necessarily primarily music but something with a decent music programs
Quote by loganrocksabass

how can your girlfriend be in your band if she's in the kitchen?
Last edited by ratm92 at Apr 1, 2008,
i heard going into music is like cutting your hand off, you jusy cant beat it anymore
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Architectual engineer sepcializing in auditorium acoustics.
sigh...
music industry management? I'm probably doing that when I go to college. It's basically just music biz, I'm not sure what's classified in it
Quote by strat335
music industry management? I'm probably doing that when I go to college. It's basically just music biz, I'm not sure what's classified in it

Then you are my enemy
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
well im goin for music education. i plan on being a band director. i have a friend who makes horns and various other instruments, he plans on doing it for a living. you can compose for things such as commercials and, if youre very lucky, you can do movie scores.
Quote by Red33
Then you are my enemy

but it's also got stuff for setting up local concerts. it's not just being in the business for record labels and releasing albums, i could go into that major and possibly get a job working for a guitar company or something.
Quote by National_Anthem
Are you going to study music history, or get a performance degree?

im not really interested in the history that much.
Quote by loganrocksabass

There are plenty of good universities with good music programs. Do some research on them. If you can't even do that, I don't see how you can even get into a decent college.

Majoring in music is a tough decision that you can only make with certainty. Many people attempt to major in music "because music is fun/cool" and end up dropping out because like any other subjects in academia, music requires actual work. Also, keep in mind that most music programs are jazz/classical oriented. Playing Metallica or Hendrix most likely won't get you in. There are schools such as Berklee that are more liberal, but Berklee costs 40k a year...

Despite my negative connotations, I encourage you to pursue your passion (that is, if you are certain about it). I'm applying as a music composition major with Berklee, Penn State, and Illinois as my top 3 choices, and I'm waiting to see who gives me the most amount of money.

Quote by girlscoutcookie

BERKLEE SCHOOL OF MUSIC FTW!!!

Do you go there?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by ratm92
im not really interested in the history that much.

Well in that case, I guess you could go with producing, sound engineer, accoustics, or that kind of thing.
Quote by Xiaoxi
There are plenty of good universities with good music programs. Do some research on them. If you can't even do that, I don't see how you can even get into a decent college.

Majoring in music is a tough decision that you can only make with certainty. Many people attempt to major in music "because music is fun/cool" and end up dropping out because like any other subjects in academia, music requires actual work. Also, keep in mind that most music programs are jazz/classical oriented. Playing Metallica or Hendrix most likely won't get you in. There are schools such as Berklee that are more liberal, but Berklee costs 40k a year...

Despite my negative connotations, I encourage you to pursue your passion (that is, if you are certain about it). I'm applying as a music composition major with Berklee, Penn State, and Illinois as my top 3 choices, and I'm waiting to see who gives me the most amount of money.

Do you go there?

thanks, that was quite helpful
Quote by loganrocksabass

Sound engineer/architectual engineer has nothing to do with actually playing any instruments. Closest you'll come is things like sound waves and maybe learning about the frequencies of notes for resonance.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Do you go there?
Xiaoxi, just wondering, what are you doing right now (community college, high school, etc.)?
Well I'm very interested in music too. I find it to be one of the few subjects that I actually enjoy learning about. I'm also very good at science at math, so I decided to combine my passion with my academic strenghts, and I'm going to become an electrical engineer. I plan on designing speakers and amplifiers for a company, and if I make enough money, then possibly starting my own amplifier company over the internet on the side (like avatarspeakers.com )

Maybe you can find a way to combine your passion of music with your academic strengths too?
good luck anyways
Be prepared to take music history, conducting, loads of theory, ensemble, singing, and keyboard proficiency classes. Being a musician isn't just about playing your instrument.

I'm planning on majoring in music composition with the piano as my instrument of choice. Should be fun, since I love music all around. The theory is great. History may be a little dry, but I know it's useful to learn.

What will I do after university? Become qualified to be a music professor at a university, and of course compose, record (only analog!) and play on the side.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by The Madcap
Xiaoxi, just wondering, what are you doing right now (community college, high school, etc.)?

High school senior.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I am in a simaliar predicament... I am a big music kid myself and I understand that music is a body, soul, mind commitment that is harder to do than most other carears. BUT that wont stop me. Hell, the day I saw the Who I realized I would not be happy in life doing anything else. It is important to understand you cant get into music school without knowing a decent amount of theory, part-writing, and obvious musical talent. As someone already stated, you cant just play hendrix and metallica and expect to get into Berklee.
The ONLY problem with music school is the lack of music chicks! (or chicks who think you are so cool b/c you can rock )
On a serious note though, you really have to be commited and love what you do if you want to pursue your musical ambitions through music college.

I'm a high school sophomore...
To be perfectly honest, finding a job in the field of music isn't a walk in the park. If you want to be a professional musician e.g. for an orchestra, then you need to be of a very high standard. And as for being a record engineer, there isn't a great need for them in the major record industry, and the majority of indie labels are ran by just one or two people, so you could open up your own studio but you would be at a great risk of losing money.

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
Quote by Highwaytohell
As someone already stated, you cant just play hendrix and metallica and expect to get into Berklee.

On the contrary, I was stating that Berklee is one of the few liberal music schools that take modern popular music seriously.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
On the contrary, I was stating that Berklee is one of the few liberal music schools that take modern popular music seriously.

They still do have a very high standard of exellence (i'm talking about throughout the year). The reason you find so many kids who drop out of berklee is because they think they want to pursue music but they find the way things are taught there are too intense and are usually just a bunch of stoned out of mind kids! (latter half was a stereotypical joke if you didnt get it). But to truly make it in the music industry requires an unmatched amount of determination, willpower, practice, talent, and to a lesser extent, being stubborn. People will tell you from the day you are born not to pursue your dreams the way you want, but If nobody pursues the dream who will? WHO WILL?! That is why I'm pursuing music .
I'm thinking of taking music in college too. I want to study musical composition and become a professional composer and write movie scores lol. But I'm curious. Do you need to have a really strong musical background to be admitted into a good music college, say, Berklee for example? What if I only took lessons, and for only like about 2-3 years?
Last edited by MarchOfEternity at Apr 8, 2008,