So I play guitar, but I'm loking to take up bass soon. Many of my friend sown basses and I enjoy them alot, although, this may sound stupid, but I've palm-muted before while playing bass, and it sounded great, but wanted to know, is it necessary, or is there anysongs with a bass being palm muted or other stuff.

and has anyone ever tried?
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
I have palm muted . its just like any other technique. what ever floats your boat. dont know any songs with it though.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Of course it's not "necessary". Nothing really is.

Muting is quite common in funk music, although that's performed with the left hand rather than the palm of the right.

I can't think of any songs that employ it, although I can't imagine no one doing it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Unless the bassist has a distortion pedal I don't think most would find a use for palm muting. I play guitar and whenever I pick up a bass I throw down some palm mutes to show that I am more teknichulz than them. Just do whatever you want there are no real rules to playing an instrument except notes. Do whatever technique you want.
Last edited by acoginthesystem at Apr 1, 2008,
dumb question, but to palm mute don't you need a pick? i know that you can play with one, but if you're playing without one is there a way to do it?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Its used in LOTS of southern rock... think Allman Brothers' Whippin' Post.

It can be an effective method to get a "dub" sort of sound, and I use it to get closer to that Paul McCartney Hofner sound, such as on Come Together...

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
The Who, anyone?

Entwistle used palm muting all the time, especially on Tommy. Listen to Tommy Can You Hear Me? and my favourite, the "dreamy" section of Sparks - perhaps the best use of palm muting on bass ever. Led Zeppelin's D'yer Mak'er (pronounced "Jamaica"), too.

Some of the fuzzak players use their thumb while palm muting, but I think the proper palm mute sound comes from a pick.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
hitchin a ride by greenday has some palm muting in it.....the live version anyways

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by dudester410
So I play guitar, but I'm loking to take up bass soon. Many of my friend sown basses and I enjoy them alot, although, this may sound stupid, but I've palm-muted before while playing bass, and it sounded great, but wanted to know, is it necessary, or is there anysongs with a bass being palm muted or other stuff.

and has anyone ever tried?

"Money" by Pink Floyd is palm muted very lightly.
Quite a bit of R & B and funk use palm muting. "Stand By Me" is impossible to play on electric without palm muting. "Respect" is another one that comes to mind.