Hey guys, whats is the difference between a Birdseye maple fretboard and an ebony one, i know they are different wood, but how do they vary in feel and sound? what would you recommend
Birdseye maple is just a higher quality of maple. I think maple necks feel slippery. They'll be a little brighter.

Ebony will be sharper and deeper.

Really play them both. I prefer ebony. But maple sounds good too. I just hate the way it feels.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I've always maintained that the fretboard doesn't make a TON of difference, but yes, there's subtle differences, and there is a very small difference in sound. I would say it's mostly personal preference however.

the best advice I can say is to go play guitar's with each different fretboard and decide which you like better (be sure to play multiple guitars so your comparison can rest SOLELY on the fretboard)
Also, ebony is a much nice and higher priced wood than maple. The les paul Supreme's have ebony fretboards.
For me, I like strat's with maple necks, and jazzboxes and les pauls with ebony or good rosewoood.
I can't really tell you for certain how the necks "sound". I think the guitar's shape and body wood have MUCH more impact on the sound than the neck.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by strat212
I've always maintained that the fretboard doesn't make a TON of difference, but yes, there's subtle differences, and there is a very small difference in sound. I would say it's mostly personal preference however.

the best advice I can say is to go play guitar's with each different fretboard and decide which you like better (be sure to play multiple guitars so your comparison can rest SOLELY on the fretboard)
Also, ebony is a much nice and higher priced wood than maple. The les paul Supreme's have ebony fretboards.
For me, I like strat's with maple necks, and jazzboxes and les pauls with ebony or good rosewoood.
I can't really tell you for certain how the necks "sound". I think the guitar's shape and body wood have MUCH more impact on the sound than the neck.

+1, the neck is not going to make an immense impact on your sound, it will be mostly feel and that is up to and what feels the best in your opinion.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Yes, maple is usually favoured by shred metal players, e.g Paul Gilbert. I have a maple fretboard on my primary guitar and I find it much more free than my Ebony fretboard.