Alrite so I have a Fender P-Bass and I decided to change the strings from Billy Sheehan Rotosounds to Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's. The only problem is that when I play an open G or an open A i get wicked annoying buzzing noise. I tried raising the action and lowering the action and trying different tunings but I still get the same problem. Anyone have any idea as to whats goin on with my bass and how i could fix this problem.

Oh and i did search this and all the threads i read werent addressing this issue.
did you change string gauges? if so, you'll probably have to adjust the truss rod.
sounds like fret buzz to me.

this might help, but only if you read the whole thing!
http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Apr 1, 2008,
It's the truss rod. You just jumped a significant gauge downward (as well as string quality ).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Make sure the strings are a good distance back in the bridge. Sometimes, if you are unsure as to how the bridge of your bass operates, you don't place the strings in the bridge correctly. Make sure they are all the way on the saddles and the stopper at the end of the string is all the way in the slot (whether it be all the way over or all the way down).

Just as a general tip, don't go adjusting the truss rod or action without first making sure there is nothing else wrong. If you change the strings on a bass, fretbuzz will not be a result unless the gauge is significantly changed. Its not healthy to adjust the truss rod more than a half turn per day.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
the gauges are the same except the G is a little thicker (43 to a 45) but everythin else is fine. And its not fret buzz because the string's are high enough off the fret that when i hit it even slightly it gives me that buzz. Like i said, it's not fret buzz.

and no offense but i no how to change strings, and i no how a bridge operates. I have 3 basses and 2 guitars and i have never run into this problem in my 5 years of playing. I've tried every possible solution I have thought of and nothing seems to work.
Last edited by ironmaiden=life at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by ironmaiden=life
the gauges are the same except the G is a little thicker (43 to a 45) but everythin else is fine. And its not fret buzz because the string's are high enough off the fret that when i hit it even slightly it gives me that buzz. Like i said, it's not fret buzz.

and no offense but i no how to change strings, and i no how a bridge operates. I have 3 basses and 2 guitars and i have never run into this problem in my 5 years of playing. I've tried every possible solution I have thought of and nothing seems to work.

no offense taken, but obviously you've missed something. we don't know you, or your skill level. we are just trying to help eliminate possibilities. in here, everybody is assumed to be a noob, until you prove otherwise. welcome to UG Bass.
what bass do you have? you say it's not fret buzz. well, if the buzz is not generated by the strings coming into contact with the frets, where is the buzz coming from?
the nut? the bridge? do the strings fit properly into the nut? if you're too busy to read the set-up link i posted, take it to the shop. they'll know how to fix it.
Quote by ironmaiden=life
the gauges are the same except the G is a little thicker (43 to a 45) but everythin else is fine.

Impossible. BS's are .110, .85, .65, .43. Hybrid Slinkies are .105, .85, .75, .45. That low E and G difference will screw things up. Check your neck relief. How much is there?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I could be way off bass, but the tuning pegs could be a little loose and causing a rattle. That happened with one of the basses I rebuilt not too long ago.
I have this same problem on my new Jazz Bass. All the strings sound clean except the E, which makes an almost staticky noise when plucked even slightly. It's not even plugged in, and you can tell somethin's off. It's not touching the frets anywhere.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
take it to a luthier lol
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
yea the strings were buzzing independently. Just to verify my belief that it wasnt fret buzz i put the bass at eye level and plucked the string slightly. Low and behold, the string did not touch the fret.I have decided to just remove the EB's and put the roto's back on just to get rid of the problem and the bass is fine. So I guess I'll be sticking with Rotosounds for the forseeable future.

and to 83lespaulstudio, i apologize if I may have come off as arrogant or as an asshole, I very much appreciate your advice and opinion, and I found your link very informative.
I'd say it's a problem with the nut if it's only on open notes.