So I recently discovered that the way I have been holding my pick for almost four years..is wrong. I would hold it with the flesh of my index, making an "okay" sign with my right hand. It's really irritating because I've become so accustomed to the wrong hold.

But anyways I've started trying to change my grip on the pick the proper way, with the side of the index finger...and it really, really sucks. Everything I try to play turns to crap, I can't alternate pick evenly, I can't change the "feeling" of the pick when I want to, the pick keeps slipping out slowly because I can't readjust it fast enough yet, and I can't control the tension in the pick.

My question is for anyone else that had this problem in their guitar lifetime and made the switch...How did you do it? Immense patience? Any specific exercises that help? I need some pointers because when I look at my guitar now I just become really depressed /emo
Quote by alexsoul
So I recently discovered that the way I have been holding my pick for almost four years..is wrong. I would hold it with the flesh of my index, making an "okay" sign with my right hand. It's really irritating because I've become so accustomed to the wrong hold.

But anyways I've started trying to change my grip on the pick the proper way, with the side of the index finger...and it really, really sucks. Everything I try to play turns to crap, I can't alternate pick evenly, I can't change the "feeling" of the pick when I want to, the pick keeps slipping out slowly because I can't readjust it fast enough yet, and I can't control the tension in the pick.

My question is for anyone else that had this problem in their guitar lifetime and made the switch...How did you do it? Immense patience? Any specific exercises that help? I need some pointers because when I look at my guitar now I just become really depressed /emo

yeah i made a thread about it like las tweek.

I economy pick apparantly, when I hsould be alternate picking. Its a pain in the ass because that becomes second nature and u hafta think about everything. but yeah practice i spose
Bah!

Ive seen people play with their feet. Ive seen people play with their teeth. I guess there is a "right" way to hold a pick, but is it THAT important? Check out how Marty Friedman holds his pick. Talk about weird!

How to hold a pick properly is more of a guidline. Find what works best for you and is comfortable, them make adjustments as you hone your own personal style.

What good is it to hold the pick "properly" and youre playing goes down the toilet?

FYI: I hold the pick a mix between the way you do and the "proper" way.
i have the same problem, and its really awkward to play the "right" way, so i might try it now and then but im just going to stick with what feels good to me.
Quote by alexsoul

If it limits something you want from your playing you should change it, but if it doesn't just carry on.
My gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Squier Fat Strat Deluxe
Yamaha FG700 Acoustic
Old Nylonstrung Acoustic

Peavey Classic 50w 2/12
Roland Cube 30X
Roland Cube 60 (30~ years old)
Vox 847A Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Old Ibanez Rack Delay
Don't bother changing the way you pick, especially after four years. As long as its comfortable and it works for you, why should you care what the "right" way is.
There is no 'right' way to hold you pick. Whatever is comfortable for you should work best. In fact, I think Dave Mustaine holds his pick that way. I could be wrong however.
When I started playing, I held my pick much in the same way you speak of now and played that way for probably 12 years. I'm in a metal band now and found that the way I was holding my pick was really holding me back when it came to speed tremolo picking, so I switched to the way you're describing switching to.

It took me a period of two or three weeks of solid playing and practice and I started to get the hang of it. I'm not suggesting you change, but it worked wonders for me and I'm glad I went through hell to get there now.
"If you tell anybody about these trees.. I WILL CUT YOU!!" - Bob Ross

Gear
Ibanez RG470 | '87 Peavey Predator LMT
Peavey 5150!! | Vader 212!! | Crate GLX65
MXR Dime Dist | Crybaby | Boss TU-80 | ISP Decimator

My Band - Under the Blade
ugh okay I've decided to try out the proper way because well, how can it hurt? But here are some questions that are really, really frustrating me right now.

1. How the **** do you palm mute with this hold?? No matter what I try I can't get the pick perpendicular to the strings. This is my most frustrating problem - Help!!
2. My right index fingernail gets caught on the strings a lot... normal? When I try to tuck it in further to prevent it creates too much tension in the pick.
3. Thumb - flesh or bone? If flesh, overlap the pick or use the ball of the thumb in the middle of the pick?
4. Thumb first knuckle - bent toward floor or relaxed? I noticed with it bent palm muting gets a little easier.
5. When I palm mute with my old grip, I use the side of my hand and I can lay it down parallel to the bridge and perpendicular to the strings. Is this possible with the proper grip? Because now when I try to palm I can only use the bottom of my palm.
I use 2 different grips.

side index, meat of thumb and when I get sloppy and use too much meat on my index finger.

I just change the angle of my forearm plant, so you try that.

it only took me a couple of weeks to get used to the 'proper' way, but I've seen soo many different 'proper' ways.
SRV R.I.P.
My right index nail always used to scrape against the strings while I played, but I just focused on keeping it tucked it. Not super tense, but tucked in just enough to be "out of the line of fire." Just try not to have it sticking out where it can hit the strings is all. That just takes some time, I think.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.