so i love to test out guitars and amps but as a green horn, really just hammer away and dont really sound "good".
What does everyone play or do when they go to test or just fool around in a music store. What riffs, what scales, what songs?? Or do you just freestyle it? I dont want to look like a geek when I try to play at a music store, and with the shyness usually elect to not play a guitar I would love to try out because I dont want to sound terrible and there is a ton of people in the store. If i play i turn down the amp really low... and no one in the store.
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
Chords, spider/ladder exercises, scales, and I post to the Electric Guitar section.
so i am not a loser if i play scales and such. so many people i hear play "songs".
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
It helps me get a better feel of the neck, which is the most important part of the guitar IMHO.
i'll play a few scales, maybe a minor pentatonic blues scale with a few bends to see how the fretboard feels. a few nice chord progressions and maybe some harmonics to see what the action's like. maybe some freestyle, but i'll mostly stick to something i know that uses a lot of the fretboard. sliding barre chords up and down gives a good feel of the neck also.
i'll usually then just rip off a bluesy metallica riff and solo to it freestyle.

scales up and down the fretboard to see how it feels. bends to hear sustain. stuff like that.

never, ever, play stairway to heaven. imo, that almost warrants a death sentence.