I'm just curious how long it took you guys to learn the chords and was able to change chords without have to think about it.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
long enough but not ultra long, to help speed it up just strum 1 chord lime C and change to another random chord. It will really help. But it will still take a while, say month or 2 per chord to smoothly transition.
I'd say a few months. It didn't really happen gradually for me, I just like started playing one day and I noticed I could switch chords a lot faster than I thought. I would recommend playing some songs that are made up of mostly chords like Blowin in the Wind, Wish You Were Here, or one that really helped me was How Long by the Eagles. It's one of my favorite Eagles songs but no one really knows much about it since its new.
it's a bitch. it takes a while, but in like a few months of practice (practice is the key ) it'll come
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
It took me 1 year to be able to play chords smoothly. I'm self taught though But just practice and believe in your hard work
I am getting better at it, but yeah it takes a while Ive got my basic chords changed without looking now like my AM, Am, A7, DM, Dm, D7, CM, C7, G, G7, EM, Em, E7, and then some Bs and Fs. Sorry dont remember which ones they are...............
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
It takes a long time if you need to know where they all are in different keys. Different positions can be tough also keep practicing. You do realize there is like 1200 different chords on the first 7 frets alone.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I know the basic bunch like all the majors minors and 7ths but im just learning diminished and suspended n stuff
Heh I have been playing almost a year and have a bit of trouble doing this. Funny thing is if someone asks me to strum along to some johnny cash i'll break out in a sweat but I can bust out a pretty good master of puppets or like light to flies. Every song I like is a mix of power chords and notes. So I can pick scales fast and move power chords and even play some solos but cringe at the sight of strumming open chords on an acoustic.
Quote by BGrem261
I am getting better at it, but yeah it takes a while Ive got my basic chords changed without looking now like my AM, Am, A7, DM, Dm, D7, CM, C7, G, G7, EM, Em, E7, and then some Bs and Fs. Sorry dont remember which ones they are...............

if by AM you mean A major, youre saying it wrong. You call that an A. Just the a note would be 'a' (see the difference? A = A major chord, a = a note and Am = A minor chord)
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Still haven't learned them
I use bar chords mostly. I actually prefer the way they sound.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I use mostly powerchords and normal riffs and tabs, chords are the stuff I play the least, but yea I can play 'em all easily
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
pretty long. not very sure, but i know it took about 3 months for me to play smoothly and sing at the same time. however, i started wrongly, and attempted to play leads before starting chords. that made me so disappointed in myself
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
A couple of weeks to learn the basied open chords, then a couple of weeks to learn alot of the basic barre chords. Obviously, it took a while longer to get them all ringing out and sounding nice.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
pfff... After 2,5 years I'm still learning but the basic Major/minor/minor7/major7 chords after... 1 year or something like that :P
my guitar instructor gives me tons of chords to learn every time i go get lessons. it kills me, i can always play the chords, but i forget the names always X_X
same here:P
I know them but it takes some time to figure them out xD
Everyone in this forum must be idiot savants if your saying you learned all the chords in a few months. I am amazed.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd