Has anyone tried putting a preamp directly through a decent PA system? i have a mackie rig and its very good with my multifx pedal, i like the neutral sound it gives. I was just wondering if anyones tried like a Mesa or ENGL preamp straight via a PA
i forgot to add the PA is an active Mackie srm450 (so its the speakers that are powered obviously)
Well, your multi-effects pedal is a preamp.

You very well could run a Triaxis through a PA, the thing is though, it's best to run it through guitar speakears, no matter what the EQing on your amp is, you can have it scooped like crazy, it's still going to have a stronger midrange through guitar speakers than a PA under most circumstances.

If you have a pretty balanced PA, couple 10''s, 12''s, horns loaded in those, and a sub, you could get a pretty good sound I guess...it's just not as good as miced cab. I've heard some decent tones coming from rigs as simple as Guitar > Pod > PA
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Well, your multi-effects pedal is a preamp.

You very well could run a Triaxis through a PA, the thing is though, it's best to run it through guitar speakears, no matter what the EQing on your amp is, you can have it scooped like crazy, it's still going to have a stronger midrange through guitar speakers than a PA under most circumstances.

If you have a pretty balanced PA, couple 10''s, 12''s, horns loaded in those, and a sub, you could get a pretty good sound I guess...it's just not as good as miced cab. I've heard some decent tones coming from rigs as simple as Guitar > Pod > PA

i was meaning higher end amps..mids i can dial in not that i normally use that much. i have a couple of ampheads but wasnt sure if i could connect eg a mesa preamp to my ENGL head and not have signal degredation.. Just looking for loads of nice tones for fun, and not have to by a poweramp when ive already got an expensive PA
I have an Engl E530 tube preamp. When I ran it through a $800 solid state power amp, it sounded really weird. Like a blanket-over-the-amp syndrome. I run the preamp out through a POS Crate practice amp into its instrument input (a kind of half-assed "re-amping" technique), then, from the Crate's speaker output, I run it into a 2x12 guitar cab, and it sounds great.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Apr 2, 2008,
Some preamps have built in speaker modeling, if he one you're looking at does not, then you'll probably want to get some external unit which does have speaker modeling. These can be found in units which does only speaker modeling, included in some DI boxes, or some other effects units. The reason you'll want this is that the monitors will not do to your sound what a normal guitar speaker will do.

The cost of these can vary greatly, everything from ~50 EUR/USD to thousands.
Not too sure, but...
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by LEVEL4
I have an Engl E530 tube preamp. When I ran it through a $800 solid state power amp, it sounded really weird. Like a blanket-over-the-amp syndrome. I run the preamp out through a POS Crate practice amp into its instrument input (a kind of half-assed "re-amping" technique), then, from the Crate's speaker output, I run it into a 2x12 guitar cab, and it sounds great.

yeah thats what i was thinking, what happens when you do this do you get any of the tone from the practise amp?