Ok so, I recently purchased a Marshall Jcm 800 and one of those fuses in the back blew out. On the back where it said 500 mA and the thing inside it is a "Slow Blow Fuses."(I think) And I was wondering, would I need a .50 or a .75 "Slow blow fuse" Also, would a "fast acting fuse" work as well or would ruin my amp.

Thanks in Advance
You need to replace it with a fuse of the same value. Bear in mind that while fuses do just blow occasionally for no real reason, if you blow a second fuse, then you need to get it looked at by a tech. Period.

Use a 0.50 slow-blow fuse to replace the one you've got. If you were to use a fast-blow fuse, you wouldn't ruin the amp, but the inrush current when you turn the amp on might blow a fast-blow fuse - making you think there's a problem when there's not.

But to repeat, if the amp blows the replacement fuse, don't try and use it again. You'll only do further damage. Take it to a reliable tech (ask around) and get it checked out. Good luck!
Quote by xenolith42
You need to replace it with a fuse of the same value. Bear in mind that while fuses do just blow occasionally for no real reason, if you blow a second fuse, then you need to get it looked at by a tech. Period.

Use a 0.50 slow-blow fuse to replace the one you've got. If you were to use a fast-blow fuse, you wouldn't ruin the amp, but the inrush current when you turn the amp on might blow a fast-blow fuse - making you think there's a problem when there's not.

But to repeat, if the amp blows the replacement fuse, don't try and use it again. You'll only do further damage. Take it to a reliable tech (ask around) and get it checked out. Good luck!

+1

Also see if the amp smells like burnt electronics coming from inside the amp. Thats usually the first thing i check when anything happens. Just as a percaution.
Quote by xenolith42

Ok thanks for the response, yeah I'll try what you just said
Thank you!
just one more question does it have to be a slow a blow or can it be a different kind?
Quote by RSFAD34
just one more question does it have to be a slow a blow or can it be a different kind?

Slow-Blow...

Sometimes you can get away with a fast-blow if you cant find a slow-blow but like stated above it might blow it right when you turn it on. Rule of thumb is you can replace a slow blow with a fast blow, but dont ever replace a fast blow with a slow blow.
Quote by RSFAD34

No, it doesn't HAVE to be a slow-blow. But another kind of fuse (as stated before) could possibly blow on start-up as the filter capacitors charge. You're trying to see if i) the amp is working fine, or ii) has an issue that blows fuses. If you put in a fast-blow, and it DOES blow, you'll never know why it blew, until you take it to someone to get 'fixed'. Do yourself a favour, and try and get a slow-blow fuse. It might mean a little bit more work, and may be slightly more expensive, but what's a couple of cents?

What's the amp like, BTW, apart from 'currently-not-working'? Have you had a chance to play?
Thanks for all the feedback!
I just got back from a friend's house and he has like a million fuses and everything you want that has to do with music. And he was kind enough to give me some Slow Blow Fuses .50 and I just finished hooking everything up and it's running smoothly.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate this very much and once again thank you!