hello. I have a Schecter Damien Fr. with two emg hz. pickups. I don't really like metal that much so i want to swap out the pickups. I LOVE neck-single coil tones, even more than neck humbucker tones. I love the srv, john mayer (imitation srv), tones, i also like less severe blues tones, but that is a great starting ground. I want the humbucker that when split will give me the best strat sound. For the bridge, I play mostly modern and alt. rock, if it is a good pickup, some blues, a lot of jam band hendrixy stuff...you know. I want TONE....and there are so many good pickups out there. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deville and a Ds-1, it is just enough distortion for me (I think too much gain spoils the player) and i use a vox wah. Help me find my dream tone please......it will be appriciated!
well, i know there are some pickups that are double humbucker, but one of the coils is a faux-coil, as in there are only like 50-100 wraps around it, so you get the single coil tone, with no buzz/hum. there are also adapter plates to put a single coil into a humbucker spot. ill see if i can find those humbys though.
fight the power that be
well im just putting out there but you can get a emg 81 split tap (not 100% on the name but active emgs get a nice rich imo but these ones will be nice for what you need because they have three pickups 1 humbucker and 1 single coil (hence the split tap prewire) i dont have one but ive heard them and they have amazing range because of the humbucker single coil setup so you might want to look into those
well if you want strat tones get a strat. but you can get blues tones with emgs. if your hell bent on new pickups get a seymore pearly gates bridge and a seymore 59neck,or damarizo humbucker from hell in the neck for so clean you swear its acustic

Quote by F8iscruel
well im just putting out there but you can get a emg 81 split tap (not 100% on the name but active emgs get a nice rich imo but these ones will be nice for what you need because they have three pickups 1 humbucker and 1 single coil (hence the split tap prewire) i dont have one but ive heard them and they have amazing range because of the humbucker single coil setup so you might want to look into those

that my friend is the new EMG 81TW mix it with a emg 60 or 89 in the neck and its the most user friendly emgs ever next to the 85 neck 81 bridge!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Last edited by clomon at Apr 1, 2008,
Why not just put two single coils in the neck, one of a reverse polarity, and use a switch to join them as a humbucker? That way you get a real single coil tone and a damn-near humbucker tone, instead of real humbucker and iffy single coil tone.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
o i was gonna double the 81TW (thnx for the name) like kirk hammet (his tone is so amazing im actually trying to get a close copy of it so) because im trying to make a thrash band and the setup seems to bee the best because you can have many pickup combinations with it you no
Fender Wide Range pickup, bridge sounds very much like a single-coil.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI

fender noiseless pups, neck model
its what i have in my strat and i coulndt love em more if i tried

if you dig that SRV tone get the Texas Specials
i myself prefer the Tex-Mex, they're what Jimmie Vaughan has in his strats
they have a creamier more jazzy tone
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by Will_Minus
Why not just put two single coils in the neck, one of a reverse polarity, and use a switch to join them as a humbucker? That way you get a real single coil tone and a damn-near humbucker tone, instead of real humbucker and iffy single coil tone.

That is what I did. Liked it so much I added the pickup to my lineup but it started out just being something I wanted to do for myself.
Not taking any online orders.
well i have played on emg single coils...and they aren't very bluesy....if it helps, i'd more focused on getting a single coil sound in the neck and I'd like to have more humbucker in the neck, maybe a little single coil playing..

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way. The fender humbucker in the bridge idea im not eccstatic about because i played on a fender hss and the humbucker in the bridge sounded TOO single coily...I'd rather use a humbucker like that in the neck.
Last edited by nevin021s at Apr 2, 2008,