Page 1 of 4
Lately, I have seen some threads in the Metal forum related to drums, drummers, "triggers", or whatever. So I thought it would be a cool idea to start a thread.

Sit down, relax and talk about drummers such as Hellhammer, Derek Roddy, Chris Adler, Tim Yeung, Dave Lombardo, Daniel Erlandsson, Inferno, etc.... Also talk about technique such as double bass drumming, blast beats, one handed rolls, paradiddles, grooves, and whatever else!

Yes I realize this is a guitar site, and I realize that this could fail miserably, but as a drummer and a guitarist, I think it would be cool see a thread where its just strait metal drum talk.

So I'll start off a topic, what songs do you think just have some sick ass drumming?

"In This Shallow Grave" by Arch Enemy is one of my favorite's right now.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
I have to say Nile's "Cast Down the Heretic" is my favorite overall.

Up top Gary Thomas in Berzerker. Double bass anything by Hellhammer, Inferno, or George Kollias.
i love the drums in the new All that Remains album. The guy who did them is kick ass, too bad he was only a session drummer
Set-up:

Ashton GA50
ESP F-10
Digitech DF-7

I need more $$$$
flo mounier is the ****
i went to his drum clinic a few months ago and it kicked major ass
i dont play or anything but his technique and speed blow me away, especially how he incorporates jazz elements into his death metal drumming.
so im going to say carrionshine by cryptopsy has some kick ass drumming in it
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Quote by Teabag of Truth
Blake Richardson from Between the Buried and Me. A God amongst mortal men.

+1000000

ah **** I forgot to mention him! His drumming on the new album is literally ****ing amazing.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
I *heart* Drumming! Especially Metal Drumming

I'm not going to list out my fav Drummers (well at the moment), but I love the Drumming in Nile, for sure. Not a big fan of over-use of "Generic" Blasts or straight forward "Thrash" style Bass-Snare, but I really like Double Bass Groovage & random Grooves.
Great idea to the thread starter

Chris Adler is a dick in real life
Tim Yeung is a midget (about up to my shoulder)
and Dave Haley is probably my favourite drummer of all time
George Kollias's drumming on Ithyphallic is probably the greatest death metal drumming session of the 2000's.

Martin Lopez isn't underrated or anything, but his skill on the kicks is rather overlooked. Just listen to the intro to "When" or "Master's Apprentices", some pretty killer bass.

and, Dave Lombardo is one of my personal favorites, even if he isn't "uber-technical", his playing just seems so...right to me.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Chris Reifert and Proscriptor are probably my two favourite drummers. Such class originality, speed, and most of all can sing and play live perfectly.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Brann Dailor owns all.

And enough with the Dave Lombardo fellation! He is not interesting, he is not technical, he doesn't even have an extraordinarily good drum sound!
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Hellhammer is my favourite, the man's got it all

also one very overlooked drummer: the guy from Agalloch, he's amazing but never gets mentioned
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Riding the snake intro is amazing, it sounds as if lombardo took a fast pill.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Thomen Stauch, Martin Lopez, Rikard Stjernquist, Matt McKenna and Simon O'Laoghaire are my favourite metal drummers.

Drumming is something I only really notice when it's done exceptionally well (not just technical skill, but style), or badly.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Phill-Rock
Thomen Stauch

For. The. Fucking. Win.

That man's amazing, just watch him on the Imaginations Through The Looking Glass album, and he had hurt his foot (hence why they didn't play Curse Of Feanor)

Quote by Slaytanic1993
George Kollias's drumming on Ithyphallic is probably the greatest death metal drumming session of the 2000's.

+ a gazillion!
Quote by Kepulix
For. The. Fucking. Win.

That man's amazing, just watch him on the Imaginations Through The Looking Glass album, and he had hurt his foot (hence why they didn't play Curse Of Feanor)

The drumming on that song is pure epicness. And Battlefield too, they both sound the same drumwise.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Slaytanic1993

Martin Lopez isn't underrated or anything, but his skill on the kicks is rather overlooked. Just listen to the intro to "When" or "Master's Apprentices", some pretty killer bass.

and, Dave Lombardo is one of my personal favorites, even if he isn't "uber-technical", his playing just seems so...right to me.

His drumming on AoTW is better IMO.

And Vitek's drumming on Winds of Creation (2000) pwns Kollias.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Phill-Rock
The drumming on that song is pure epicness. And Battlefield too, they both sound the same drumwise.

Yeah he did amazing job on A Night At The Opera

hahha I just noticed that I called Imaginations Through The Looking Glass an album, it's a DVD really

Quote by dead-fish
Brann Dailor owns all.

He does. My favourite metal drummer by far, even though there are so many awesome metal drummers.
Inferno is awesome, as is Vader's drummer (I'm a drummer lol, I should be better with names) as was Vitek.
Polish drummers= awesome.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Anders Nordin, lol.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Last edited by ..NEM.. at Apr 2, 2008,
Leon Macey.

If anything was to challenge George Kollias for the best drum session on a DM album, it's him.

Theres too many others to name.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
^ How do I keep forgetting Leon Macey?

Seriously, listen to 'To Where The Sun Never Leaves' and listen out for the bit that starts at 1:32, possibly the most face-ripping drumming I have ever heard.

And of course, this thread would be nowhere without a mention of Doc's drumming on Litany.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
^ From which band?
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Sorry, Leon Macey is in Mithras, and Doc was in Vader, sadly, he died. Daray is in Vader now I think.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
All this metalcore/overrated drummers felation? I agree with Kollias, but you guys need to youtube Derek Roddy, Former drummer of Hate Eternal.
Did you just call the drummers cited in this thread overrated and/or metalcore? Oh dearie me.

*hands extra-large flame shield*
Quote by webbtje
Did you just call the drummers cited in this thread overrated and/or metalcore? Oh dearie me.

*hands extra-large flame shield*

All That Remains? Beneath The Horizon? Between the Buried and me? DAVE LOMBARDO?!

Tomas Haake? Flo Mounier? George Kollias? Inferno?

Also, no-one's said Gene Hoglan yet, which sucks.
my favorites are:
Thomas Haake (Meshuggah)
Inferno (Behemoth)
George Kollias (Nile)
Lord Marco (Brain Drill/Vital Remains)
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Lord Marco and Thomas Haake are brilliant, but my all time favourite is Martin Lopez.

While we're here, does anyone have any tips for Jazz drumming? I've been trying to do all of the fancy work but I just can't get it.
^Lots of ride beats lol, i guess the only way to really get it is to listen to more jazz...
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
I don't how many "Metal Drummer" threads there has been but I still gotta post my favorites:

Markku Näreneva (Kiuas)
Chris Kontos (Machine Head - Burn My Eyes)
Brann Dailor
George Kollias
Martin Lopez
Earl Of Void (Reverend Bizarre)
Dave Lombardo
Pasi Pasanen (Swallow The Sun)
Oh, and how could I forget 'ole Anders Nordin?

Killer drummer, he was really great on the kicks and his tom work was pretty good, but he wasn't very creative in terms of cymbal working.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
My favorites are
Hellhammer (Dimmu Borgir)
Vader's drummer
Gene Hoglan, not just because webbtje said it
and whoever the new guy is for Hate Eternal.
Edit: How do metal drummers play those 16th's on the snare with one hand? I think that's amazing. I wanna add Necrophagist's drummer to my list, because his drumming fits really well with the rest of the band.
Up the Punx!
Quote by Dvnc
My favorites are
Hellhammer (Dimmu Borgir)
Vader's drummer
Gene Hoglan, not just because webbtje said it
and whoever the new guy is for Hate Eternal.
Edit: How do metal drummers play those 16th's on the snare with one hand? I think that's amazing. I wanna add Necrophagist's drummer to my list, because his drumming fits really well with the rest of the band.

It's really hard, I can't do it for very long, but for me I have to position my arm differently.
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Page 1 of 4