I don't understand this crap at all! I've tried reading it, I've watched YouTube videos of it, and so far, all it's done is piss me off!

What the hell, man. Can someone explain this, or help out or something?
There are lessons on the site, you don't need to be at the forums for help.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Oh, you mean music theory? I came here to talk about psychoanalysis.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Wait, I'm beginning to understand it (Kinda)!

I've been watching these dudes off Youtube. I've only watched two of their videos, but I've already learned the A Major Scale, the C Major Scale, and the Chromatic Scale. I also learned how to do this cool "doorbell" sounding thing with harmonics. Here it is, if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoWpLr9eOE&feature=related
Quote by teegman
Don't worry about theory, it's just for simpleminded folk who need to be guided every step of the way.

At first I thought this was sarcasm, but then I saw that it was you and realized that you're actually serious. FYI, being a non-conformist just for the sake of being a non-conformist is not cool, and never was.

TS, try reading this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032

If that doesn't satisfy you, buy a book like the Idiot's Guide to Music Theory or something. Or get a teacher.
Quote by DeathForAll
I don't understand this crap at all! I've tried reading it, I've watched YouTube videos of it, and so far, all it's done is piss me off!

What the hell, man. Can someone explain this, or help out or something?
Quote by DeathForAll

I've been watching these dudes off Youtube. I've only watched two of their videos, but I've already learned the A Major Scale, the C Major Scale, and the Chromatic Scale. I also learned how to do this cool "doorbell" sounding thing with harmonics. Here it is, if anyone wants to check it out:

You came that far in 59 minutes? Amazing.
At that rate you should be JS Bach within a week.
Quote by CowboyUp
Try the Musician Talk forum.

True.

This really doesn't belong in The Pit.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by which ones pink
At first I thought this was sarcasm, but then I saw that it was you and realized that you're actually serious. FYI, being a non-conformist just for the sake of being a non-conformist is not cool, and never was.

Since when was anything in art about being cool?
Obviously you go about your endeavors with a high level of integrity
Quote by teegman
Since when was anything in art about being cool?
Obviously you go about your endeavors with a high level of integrity

Art is about life.
Many things in life are about being cool vs being a dick. That includes opinions about art.
If you want to be a dick about it, I'm cool with that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Art is about life.
Many things in life are about being cool vs being a dick. That includes opinions about art.
If you want to be a dick about it, I'm cool with that.

whoa. you just made small vocabularies your bitch!
Quote by DeathForAll

Instead of learning individual scales in each different key, just learn a scale's interval patterns.

For example:

The major scale (Ionian; tonic) has root, natural 2nd (whole step), major 3rd (whole step), perfect 4th (half step), perfect 5th (whole step), major 6th (whole step), major 7th (whole step), octave (half step).

If you know the intervallic relationship of every note in a scale, you won't have to memorize the individual notes of a scale for every key, which is extremely inefficient.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by teegman
Don't worry about theory, it's just for simpleminded folk who need to be guided every step of the way.

i hate people like this. ive been BUSTING my ass trying to learn theory, and im finally sounding like i know what im doing on that guitar. its cause i know what note im playing and why it sounds good. therefore i can find the next best thing to hammer on to or what have you.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
/\ +1. I've worked so hard to learn theory. Next year, I'll be one of the seniors at my high school who our band teacher allowed to take AP Music Theory. I got in, and a lot of pianists at my school didn't. I had to bust my ass to learn as much as I could. I know for a fact that if my band teacher heard someone say "Don't worry about theory, it's just for simpleminded folk who need to be guided every step of the way.", he would probably punch them in the face. He has spent his entire life learning music theory and the study of music, just to hear some teenager tell him that his whole life has been a waste of time and a study for simpleminded people? Yeah right.
If you think music theory is stupid, then good for you, but don't say something as arragant and stupid as "it's just for simpleminded folk who need to be guided every step of the way." because that is possibly the dumbest argument I've ever seen.
Quote by p o e
i hate people like this.

why?

ive been BUSTING my ass trying to learn theory

lol, you make it sound like it's hard.

, and im finally sounding like i know what im doing on that guitar. its cause i know what note im playing and why it sounds good. therefore i can find the next best thing to hammer on to or what have you.

Quote by teegman
it's just for simpleminded folk who need to be guided every step of the way.

Quote by rush5757
I know for a fact that if my band teacher heard someone say "Don't worry about theory, it's just for simpleminded folk who need to be guided every step of the way.", he would probably punch them in the face.

Isn't it funny how simpleminded folk always tend to resort to violence?

He has spent his entire life learning music theory and the study of music,

He's obviously failed at life if he still thinks conventional music theory is relevant after studying music for so long. Either that or he has no real love of music and is just regurgitating outdated theories for money.

just to hear some teenager tell him that his whole life has been a waste of time and a study for simpleminded people?

I'm hardly a teenager anymore.

If you think music theory is stupid, then good for you, but don't say something as arragant and stupid as "it's just for simpleminded folk who need to be guided every step of the way." because that is possibly the dumbest argument I've ever seen.

If it's a dumb argument then counter it rather than just knock it.
Quote by teegman
If it's a dumb argument then counter it rather than just knock it.
Allow me.
Quote by teegman
Fail. It's not just for simpleminded folk, although they can benefit from it.

Anyone can benefit from looking at an art as a science, as well. Only the simpleminded need lose touch with the art itself through these studies. The rest can apply the knowledge attained to more quickly gain greater ability express themselves through their craft.

Knowledge is.

Trolls are.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411