Poll: Should highly dangerous science be banned or at least not government funded?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should highly dangerous science be banned or at least not government funded?
completely banned
3 8%
limited to private funding
11 28%
the way it is now is fine
26 65%
Voters: 40.
This is not a question of whether you believe in science or not. This is about if you believe scientists should have "moral" police. Not something pertaining to morals like making it safer for women to have abortions or anything. More of a should governments restrict dangerous research that is could possibly be hugely detrimental to the world. Example: scientists have particle accelerators where they are trying to recreate and prove the big bang theory. The catch is there is a, despite being very small, chance they could create and open a blackhole that would destroy the Earth. Should they be allowed to continue such research, risking the entire world? I got this idea from a Daily Show with Jon Stewart I just watched and heard about Simon LeFay's book.

Discuss if you like?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by teegman
Why would you stint creation based on uneducated fear?

I am talking about highly dangerous research that won't just impact the researchers but the entire world. Examples aside, should any research of that be tolerated?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
I am talking about highly dangerous research that won't just impact the researchers but the entire world. Examples aside, should any research of that be tolerated?

Yes, as long as acceptable risk analysis is undertaken and it's being performed by competent researchers.. and government sci-fi watching, uneducated bureaucrats stay well out of the decision making process.
I am not talking about religion at all. This has nothing to do with religion. I could care less if God was proved or disproved. I am talking about endangering the Earth with accidents in the name of science. I can't remember the name of the substance (thought it was dioxin but was mistaken) that is incredibly easy to make in theory and a tablespoon could wipe life on the planet. No scientist has be able to create it because every research lab that attempts to all end up dying before they finish creating it. Should research be allowed on such substances?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
its the end of the world as we know....and i feel fine
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
I smell Jesus police.....yup....he's from texas

Please go read the rest of my posts, then come back and call me the Jesus police...
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
I am not talking about religion at all. This has nothing to do with religion. I could care less if God was proved or disproved. I am talking about endangering the Earth with accidents in the name of science. I can't remember the name of the substance (thought it was dioxin but was mistaken) that is incredibly easy to make in theory and a tablespoon could wipe life on the planet. No scientist has be able to create it because every research lab that attempts to all end up dying before they finish creating it. Should research be allowed on such substances?

Are you sure that it's not from a movie or something like that? I find it hard to believe that...
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

The government should not fund scientific research that is proven to be highly dangerous. Other than that, let the scientists get on with it. Oh yeah, and keep religion to yourself. Yes I know the OP is not referring to religion, I'm adding it as a side note. Stem cell research ftw.
Quote by urik
Are you sure that it's not from a movie or something like that? I find it hard to believe that...

I wish I could remember the name. I learned about it in Chem class but that was like 5 years ago. We did a lot on it. We were learning about different combinations of elements and how simple a lot of things actually are. It had something to do with isotopes of oxygen I believe, but I can't remember much. I search for it, but found nothing.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
They aren't risking the whole world with the particle accelerator experiment. You act as if the scientists working on it are careless retards who have no idea what they are doing.

There's lots of other stuff that is a much bigger threat to everyone than scientists who are trying to learn more about the world we live in for the benefit of humanity. Prosperity should be the goal of every society, but instead our governments waste money on things we don't want and wars we don't need.
Quote by i have to pee
I wish I could remember the name. I learned about it in Chem class but that was like 5 years ago. We did a lot on it. We were learning about different combinations of elements and how simple a lot of things actually are. It had something to do with isotopes of oxygen I believe, but I can't remember much. I search for it, but found nothing.

Wow it sounds cool in a weird way.
I searched for it in google but couldn't find it .

EDIT:
I just found that Dioxin is indeed the most dangerous manmade substance.
However, it's just an ultra strong poison. It doesn't spread through the air nor endangers humankind or something like that.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Apr 2, 2008,
If you seriously think things like Cern are dangerous to the world at large, then you don't know a lot about it. The acceleration of each particle may be very high, but the actual energies involved in each experiment are very very low compared with everyday events.
Quote by smb
If you seriously think things like Cern are dangerous to the world at large, then you don't know a lot about it. The acceleration of each particle may be very high, but the actual energies involved in each experiment are very very low compared with everyday events.

You are looking at a singular example to apply to a much wider problem. I don't know much about particle acceleration, I heard about it and thought about a much bigger problem.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
You are looking at a singular example to apply to a much wider problem. I don't know much about particle acceleration, I heard about it and thought about a much bigger problem.

You're using words like "singular" when you could just say "one", presumably to try and sound smarter than you are.

It's a bit late to complain now after the nuclear testing of the last 55 years. The experiments carried out in the cold war were far far more dangerous than any these days.

As I posted above:
Quote by smb
Should the bold and intelligent be forever crippled by the scared and stupid?
though perhaps *ill-informed" would have been a better description.
Quote by smb
You're using words like "singular" when you could just say "one", presumably to try and sound smarter than you are.

It's a bit late to complain now after the nuclear testing of the last 55 years. The experiments carried out in the cold war were far far more dangerous than any these days.

That is how I talk. Maybe it is a bit too much for your average 13 year old pit goer. Sorry, I'll dumb it down so you can better comprehend okay? And it better late than never. Look at every uprising in history. You're same logic could be applied there. "We've been oppressed for the last 100 years, why start complaining about it now?"
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Not really. This is more like putting up with the bigger issues to make a fuss about the trivial.

I don't think you need to dumb down your speech - I think you need some more education.
What about medical science? Are you saying restrict that to private development so sick people have to pay extortionate rates for corporate healing?
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS
Quote by Centurion
What about medical science? Are you saying restrict that to private development so sick people have to pay extortionate rates for corporate healing?

Medical science generally doesn't cause global trauma, although it has in the past on occasion. I am saying if the subject matter being researched has the potential to cause a global impact, should the government fun said research or even allow it at all? I am posing a mere question. I have tried to keep my opinion on said matters out of the thread because I am undecided on how I actually feel.

As far as smb, you really make me laugh. Enjoying pretending to be a scholar and ride that high horse some more; it makes me smile as well.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
I'm glad I amuse you.

The fact remains I've met some big name scientists and been to plenty of labs. I've read up on this sort of thing, studied under some professors who seriously know their shit and I was considering taking up an option to spend a year at Cern (I decided against it, but not after finding out a fuck load about it). The reason I sound like I think I know more than you on this topic is because I do think I know more than you on this topic.

Your original post reads like someone who read some trash article on the internet based on third hand quotes and bullshit, and got scared by it. Rest assured, no-one is recreating the big bang.
the use of "morality" wouldn't really be great here, as morality is extremely subjective. I would use the term ethics, and I think that unethical science projects should not be funded, or course ethics are subjective too, but not as much as morality methinks.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm