Summers coming up and that means a ton of gigs, and I've been concerned about my amp. I bought it used on eBay and it's 3 and a half years old, with the stock mesa tubes in it (Mesa Roadster..) Is there any way to find out how much life is left in them? I don't want to blow anything during a gig, my backup is a cube 60 ..

Edit; the seller said he had used it lightly in his basement.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Last edited by tr3nt at Apr 1, 2008,
Huh?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

He's saying that your backup shouldn't be a Roland 60 in a gig. It should be extra tubes and fuses for your Mesa.
Quote by tr3nt
Summers coming up and that means a ton of gigs, and I've been concerned about my amp. I bought it used on eBay and it's 3 and a half years old, with the stock mesa tubes in it (Mesa Roadster..) Is there any way to find out how much life is left in them? I don't want to blow anything during a gig, my backup is a cube 60 ..

Take one out and place it on your tongue...

I kid I kid...

Usually after two years of playing there due for a changing. Especially if you have been gigging. But as far as i know there isnt a way to test them. Usually you can tell because you loose a bit of tone and gain...
^^ ive got two of those. one i use, and the other is a back up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
^^ ive got two of those. one i use, and the other is a back up.

You're amazing, then. I've yet to find even a basic vacum tube tester for under $300.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
You're amazing, then. I've yet to find even a basic vacum tube tester for under $300.

I have two as well, and they were free. I can't see a model number anywhere, but they look a lot like this:

Quote by mr_hankey
I have two as well, and they were free. I can't see a model number anywhere, but they look a lot like this:

Haha, thank you somebody for saying this! You can tell when tubes are starting to go because your tone will start to change. At the very least, the bias has probably drifted quite a bit over three years, so you are probably due to swap them out anyway if you've been gigging.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by the.spine.surfs
That's why I origionally reccomended keeping a set of spare tubes on hand.

Ya but come on, how practical is it to be changing a set of tubes during a gig? A spare amp is V. important for gigging!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
Ya but come on, how practical is it to be changing a set of tubes during a gig? A spare amp is V. important for gigging!

Take them out, pop the new ones in? The bias will be off, but it will be in the ballpark; good enough for one gig.
Quote by mr_hankey
Take them out, pop the new ones in? The bias will be off, but it will be in the ballpark; good enough for one gig.
If the tubes die in the middle of the gig though, they'll be damn hot....

...So you'll need one of these:

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

Of course! I keep one in my gigbag. I keep an extra in my manpurse, too.

*cough

But really. Grab a jacket/strat/anything, and pull out the old ones, then plop in the new ones. I've seen a guy re-ground a Les Paul onstage at a show once; a tube swap is nothing.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

it was teh jokes, i am teh joker.

i am amazing tho.

*use ur ears and carry a cube.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
replace them and keep the old ones for spares.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by mr_hankey

Ya but it really depends on the amp, i mean if i was to change the tubes in my AC30 during a gig it would'nt exactly be practical when i could just switch amps for the sake of one gig
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
Ya but it really depends on the amp, i mean if i was to change the tubes in my AC30 during a gig it would'nt exactly be practical when i could just switch amps for the sake of one gig

Yeah, but the AC30 is definitely an exception. I call it bad design. I think the people that had theirs go up in flames agree with me.
How much would it cost to retube a Roadster, with est. labor and stuff.

Quote by mr_hankey
Yeah, but the AC30 is definitely an exception. I call it bad design. I think the people that had theirs go up in flames agree with me.
yes, the AC30 is a hilariously bad piece of design all throughout its years

You know how the later Silverface Bassmans were crap? Each subsequent version of the AC30 between the late 60s and the early 90s was like the Silverface Bassman to the 5F6A. In the 80s they actually redesigned the circuit for less gain to get nicer tone because of the hilariously bad valves and speakers.

Also, the chassis design is insane.

Oh, and half of the chassis was covered in the remnants from what was a huge fire in my AC30
Quote by MrCarrot
yes, the AC30 is a hilariously bad piece of design all throughout its years

You know how the later Silverface Bassmans were crap? Each subsequent version of the AC30 between the late 60s and the early 90s was like the Silverface Bassman to the 5F6A. In the 80s they actually redesigned the circuit for less gain to get nicer tone because of the hilariously bad valves and speakers.

Also, the chassis design is insane.

Oh, and half of the chassis was covered in the remnants from what was a huge fire in my AC30

As someone who's really into Fenders I am well aware of what happens when amps are heavily 'improved' for more headroom. Damn CBS.

Didn't CBS make the Vox amps for a while, or am I completely wrong here?
Quote by mr_hankey
As someone who's really into Fenders I am well aware of what happens when amps are heavily 'improved' for more headroom. Damn CBS.

Didn't CBS make the Vox amps for a while, or am I completely wrong here?
I'm not sure, I don't think so though. It was owned by Jennings originally, then JMI, then some other small-name British companies, Dallas Arbiter, and to this day Korg. Upto Korg, each succession was worse and worse! Jennings and JMI are where it's at for Vox.
So yeah, anyway.. my question: How much would it cost to retube a Roadster, with est. labor and stuff?

??

Just do it yourself. Is a skill that you wont forget and you will NEED at one time or another. Best to do it yourself for free.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by MrCarrot
I'm not sure, I don't think so though. It was owned by Jennings originally, then JMI, then some other small-name British companies, Dallas Arbiter, and to this day Korg. Upto Korg, each succession was worse and worse! Jennings and JMI are where it's at for Vox.

The new JMI amps make me drool. The pricetags make me cry.

What I like about them is that they haven't made a single improvement to the amps; it's all there in its noisy and potentially-burning-your-house-down glory.