I have a four string Michael Kelly acoustic bass (fretted). I recently purchased a set of Nylon Tapewound Fender strings that I was going to put on my fretless, but I am now thinking about putting them on my acoustic. It came with roundwound D'Addarios that sound pretty good, even though they seem a little too bright and ring-y for my taste. I am kind of new to acoustic bass so I was wondering if these strings would give my bass a nice thick upright sound or just make it sound like sh*t. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Crazy... I want to do the exact same thing. I'm dying to know how tapewounds sound on acoustic.

That said, that ringiness will die, and it'll die off hard. Your acoustic bass will sound totally different once the strings die. It won't project nearly as well, but it'll be much mellower. New strings REALLY make acoustics cut through.

But anyway, I'm dying to try tapewounds but are too cheap to try them at the moment.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I play in a jazz band and the tone I get from my MK is good, but not the kind I was looking for. When I played it fingerstyle, it seemed too air-y and ring-y. A while back I started growing out my fingernails for playing acoustic six string guitar, and one day I decided to play my bass and I was really surprised. I got a nice, full, punchy tone when I played fingerstyle with long nails. It is partly because of this that I want to try the tapewounds, just to see if it gives my bass a classical guitar/upright bass type of sound.
You'll never get it to sound like an upright - ever. However, you could potentially get a really cool, really unique tone. I'm not sure how well the projection would be, though. It could be great - it could be poor. What I DO know is that it will no longer sound like a downtuned electric.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Its an acoustic-electric if that makes any difference. I don't know if you knew this already or not, but I kind of figured it would affect the projection by making it quieter when playing acoustically. Also, I sort of knew the upright idea was too good to be true but just thought I'd throw it out there
Thanks for the info, man
Yeah man, I got an Olympia OB3CE I'm dying to try those flats on. However, I ONLY play it acoustically so I'm a bit hesitant to essentially waste $20.
Quote by Cody_Grey102