hey guys i was wondering what sclaes i should use to solo over the chord progression:
G#5
G5
D#5
F5

and what key would the scales be in?

thanks.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Looks like F minor pentatonic for you, assuming thats a simple rock song you got goin there.

It's actually not a G# and D# chord you're playing, it's Ab and Eb. You're in the key of F minor or anything relative to it, depending how the song goes.

do a little self research on scales and the minor pentatonic, it's better when you look yourself that having it spoonfed to you.
its kind of a chours part to a song ive been paying with. ill check it out.

i thought it might be the g# or Ab ionian. but ill look at the other one too
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
its kind of a chours part to a song ive been paying with. ill check it out.

i thought it might be the g# or Ab ionian. but ill look at the other one too

Be careful when throwing modal terms around, Ionian =/= major.
It can most definately be either a major or minor variant due to the fact it's all powerchords and they are neither major nor minor.

So do you want your solo to sound upbeat or a little unhappy?
well draker becuase it is kind of a metal core song.....

well what are the happy scales to use and witch are the unhappy ones?
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Certain scales have certain feels to them. For example, modally Locrian would be the darker one, but it is difficult to work with. Most people plain would not try. Aeolian (minor) is generally sadder, while Ionian (major) tends to be happier. However, phrasing of your solo is what's most important and that can be difficult to make a distinct sound over powerchords.
well i was talking to a buddie of mine whos in another band and he was saying learn the scale but dont play it like a scale, use diffrent notes in the scale and make it feel like something.... and it seems to work lol...
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
well i was talking to a buddie of mine whos in another band and he was saying learn the scale but dont play it like a scale, use diffrent notes in the scale and make it feel like something.... and it seems to work lol...

Don't learn a scale that isn't a scale and add notes to make it feel like something...

Either you're playing chromatics or I just have absolutely no idea what you've just said.
i know how to play the guitar lol... i know how to play scales and i know what chromatics are.... the guy showed me some scales that would work over that and then he said dont play them like your playing a scale, to solo you have to put feeling in to the notes. or some **** and that kinda helped me out.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
i know how to play the guitar lol... i know how to play scales and i know what chromatics are.... the guy showed me some scales that would work over that and then he said dont play them like your playing a scale, to solo you have to put feeling in to the notes. or some **** and that kinda helped me out.

You mean use phrasing? Phrasing meaning play notes using techniques such as legato, slides and different pauses and intervals. Basically, phrasing is what makes a solo unique. Anybody can play a solo in C# Major, but phrasing is what makes it stand out.