me and some buds were at sam ash the other day and there were no open amps to play electric on, so we decided to check out the acoustic room. i picked up an ovation electric acoustic and loved the way the bowl felt compared to the traditional acoustic that i have right now. i was thinking about buying one, and needed your guys opinions. what do you think about these guitars? have you encountered any problems with them?
I really don't like the way the cheaper ones sound, but the higher end ovations are good.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
i have one that is now 15 years old. the electronics still work and sound great over my amp. try out elixir nanoweb 13 or 14 gauge strings. i think it has a real nice sound.
yeah i have a higher end one, it's great
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
to me they sound too tinny compared to fuller bodied acoustics, but still great quality, amazing necks and stuff as well
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
mine was like 900 back when i bought it. good stage guitar because of the shape.
I have two that I haven't had any problems with. I got my twelve string from my grandpa who had gotten it used. It was real beat up and the bowl was busted in near the bottom, but he fixed it and it sounds freakin great.

You might try out different sized bowls to see which you like best.
i own a lefty celeb model, the neck is great, very good guitar, i love the feel of it. i still have the factory strings on it, which isnt bad at all. good solid guitar. mid bowl. 600ish $ canadian a yearish ago
yeah, i tried out a really nice one and was blown away... sadly, the only ones i could find in my price range were super shallow bowl models. and i agree that the shallower ones sound way less full.

EDIT: a whole year and you still have the factory stings on? geez...
if you buy an ovation, dont buy a cheap one. quality is suspect on cheap ones.
I bought one a while back and returned it soon after. Didn't like the neck for fingerpicking. I also hated how it always wanted to slip off of my lap while playing seated.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by theshroomman
i own a lefty celeb model, the neck is great, very good guitar, i love the feel of it. i still have the factory strings on it, which isnt bad at all. good solid guitar. mid bowl. 600ish $ canadian a yearish ago

Man, You need to change your strings!
Do your guitar a favour and get some new ones.

As for Ovations. I quite like there plugged in sound. Havent had much to do with them unplugged though.
I got a middle of the range one second hand a while back, and it's pretty good, particularly when plugged in... 'though I do prefer playing my Taylor when I'm just strumming at home - it doesn't slip off my lap and the sound is a fair bit fuller.
Quote by Link.JohnIrving
I bought one a while back and returned it soon after. Didn't like the neck for fingerpicking. I also hated how it always wanted to slip off of my lap while playing seated.

the part about how it kept slipping off was the reason i didnt buy one as well. that annoyed me to no end.
From what I've heard, ONLY high end expensive models are worth it. However these are some of the best money can buy.
Reasons that I dislike almost all Ovation guitars immensely:

1. The round back idea was creative, but incessantly annoying when sitting down or trying to lean it against something.

2. Many of their models are set up to play like electric guitars. I have an electric for that.

3. The plastic models sound like they're made of plastic

4. I don't like built in electronics. Most Ovations are acoustic-electric.

I would encourage you not to get one, but 'tis only my opinion. If you like them, don't listen to me, get it!
They sound f***ing brilliant when played through an amp or PA. No question about that. The necks are really nice (mine's a v neck ) in shape and in finish and they are usually (in the case of the applauses, celebrity and up are always spot on) well set up and of good quality.
They are great guitars and they do have their advantages and here are a few things you should remember:

They have brilliant string balance (you only miss it if it's not there, otherwise you wont notice)
The lower end models will sound pretty much eactly as they do when you buy them forever as the woods wont mature like solid tops (i think the celebrities are solid top now, but the applauses aren't)
Really they are designed to be an electro-acoustic guitar so it might not stand up to a guitar designed to be played acoustically
The shallow bowl back models dont have alot of bass response, but the guitars are still warm sounding.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH