Alright, so this is the guitar I have ...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Hellraiser-Avenger-Electric-Guitar-513844-i1177855.gc

Now heres my plan. I love my active EMG 81/85 pickups i've got going on, but my musical direction has turned more towards hard rock or a combination of rock and metal rather, and active pickups are mostly a metal thing. Well after much thought I think I'm gonna replace the neck-pickup (the one I use for rhythm) and replace it with a good duncan. And then I'd just leave my bridge pickup (EMG 81) where it is. Now obviously with this set-up I'd never use the 2 pick-ups simultaneously, but I think it'd be badass to have both in 1 guitar. So when I'm playing rock songs I can just turn on the duncan and rock out then switch right to a metal song with my EMG. And ya I checked out the wiring and it shouldn't be a problem, but I've never really worked on a guitar with Active pickups so if theres anything I should know before i go through with this, please do tell.

Oh and as far as the pick-ups I'd go for I've got 3 I'm considering..

1) Duncan SH-1 '59 model (this one is typically used in neck position so it's obviously a good choice.)

2) Duncan SH-4 JB (usually used in bridge position so I assume it's more for lead, and I plan on using my EMG for most lead work.. but then again having a neck pickup in the bridge might not be a bad idea considering the EMG will have a much higher output in comparison anyways.)

3) Duncan SH-8 invader (dont know much about these other than that sysnster gates uses em and he has a great tone)
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Last edited by GNRrocka at Apr 2, 2008,
18v mod bitch.

enhanced tone and more headroom, better sounding than any passive i've heard
^ Word.

People need to realize this whole "EMG = Metal" thing is a stereotype. A lot of metal players use them, yes.

However, they are anything but one trick ponies.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by jm1681
^ Word.

People need to realize this whole "EMG = Metal" thing is a stereotype. A lot of metal players use them, yes.

However, they are anything but one trick ponies.

QFT
1. 18v mod, before you assess the tone of your current pickups,

2. Don't forget to use your volume and tone controls to take the 'metal' edge off your tone,

3 .Swap the 85 for a 60,

4. Put these threads in "Guitar Gear & Accessories".

Putting bridge pickups in the neck won't work well - if they have pole pieces, instead of a blade, the spacing will be wrong. Bridge pole pieces are spaced at 10.2mm, whereas necks use 10mm. Your two centre strings will be okay, then you'll get crappy output for the other strings, getting worse as you move out. It basically places the dead spots directly beneath the strings.

The SH-8 'Invader' is muddy as hell, so the '59 neck is a far better choice.