I'm not quite sure, but this sounds like modding to me.

So I read an interview that Guitar Center had with Chris Cheney (The Living End), and in it he mentions that he does little things like replacing the tuners, etc., just little things to fiddle with. Anyway, he mentions that he dipped his pickups in wax to reduce feedback.

I use a hollowbody primarily as well, and I was wondering if this was a good idea. Would there be lost tone? I mean, his guitars sound fine, despite the wax. I just don't know if there is some sort of wax I should stay away from, etc., or if anyone else had any experience with this.

I've tried stuffing my guitar, but that didn't work at all (in fact, it dampened the tone, obviously, and did really nothing to reduce feedback).

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Yeah, all pickups come potted, do it again if you want, hollowbodies are tempramental. when you pot the pickup, do so in beeswax and a bit of paraffin, leave it for about half an hour and clean off all the excess wax. as for tone suckage, does it effect the awesomeness of Chris Cheney's tone? No? Didn't think so... therefore, pot away.
I've almost finished.
Last edited by Tele.Player.92 at Apr 2, 2008,
Okay, but it shouldn't be very thick, should it? I'm thinking like a semi-thin (maybe like a high e diameter-width) coat. Or just dipping it and taking it out, whatever.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
If the pickup has not been potted before then potting will significantly change the tone of the pickup but sometimes that isn't a bad thing.

If the pickup has already been potted then repotting it won't hurt your tone at all, and there is a good chance that it will get rid of some unwanted feedback so go ahead and do it.

The pro's tend to use a beeswax paraffin mix. They tell people that beeswax/paraffin mix sound better but the real reason they use the beeswax is that it melts at a lower temp and soaks into the coil better. If someone is carefull not to heat the paraffin wax too hot and doesn't mind keeping an eye on things while the pickup is in the pot then you can just as easily use neat paraffin. I don't use bees wax because it can sometimes be acidic and eat away at the copper wire inside the pickup. It's not a big deal for the 1st 5 to 10 years but slowly the pickups start to stink and the inside turns green and eventually the pickup stops working.

Another very simple trick you can use to get rid of feedback is to use sergical tubing to mount your pickups instead of springs. It's probably not going to change things as much as you would like it to, but it's one of the little things that does help.

Quote by Chris_Parker
Okay, but it shouldn't be very thick, should it? I'm thinking like a semi-thin (maybe like a high e diameter-width) coat. Or just dipping it and taking it out, whatever.

You soak the pickup in a pot of the stuff for about 10 min.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Apr 2, 2008,
all pickups do not come potted....

check my sig. CorduroyEW also has a good shellac guide which works well to. Always listen to corduroy he wont steer you wrong haha
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
i cant really think of any other ways of reducing feedback, other than the obvious put in a kill switch so you can use it when your not playing, that would help a lot, or just be quick on the volume knobs when you arent playing, other that that, i cant really help, the living end are awsome live though, seen them 3 times, never any feedback either, the wax probably works.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
all pickups do not come potted....

check my sig. CorduroyEW also has a good shellac guide which works well to. Always listen to corduroy he wont steer you wrong haha

But the majority of them are. Like 95%. srsly.

When does this feedback happen? If you play close to your amp, with a lot of gain...then you shouldn't be surprised.

How did you go about stuffing you guitar semi-hollow? What material did you use, and how much of it?
I have the same problem, but i think its cuz i have actives and im playing on a tube amp. 25 ft away the damn thing still sends off that freakin high pitched screech.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance