i had an idea on my washburn 7 string to put a locking bolt like used in the floyd rose build guitars so it would keep tune better
is this a good idea, and are there any drawbacks to this?
Quote by LivingDeath
i had an idea on my washburn 7 string to put a locking bolt like used in the floyd rose build guitars so it would keep tune better
is this a good idea, and are there any drawbacks to this?

Routing it without the correct tools would be hell..

Just get a set of locking tuners.. Cheap easy and works, also wont mess up the guitar.
OR you can replace the standard nut with a graphite nut, and get a set of locking tuning machines(I.E. Sperzel, Schaller, Planet Waves), without having to alter the neck by carving a chunk of it away.
Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit- Oscar Wilde
Problem would be if you did want to tune it you would now need to lossen the locking nut each time. They only work well if you have fine tuners on the bridge.
Quote by Tackleberry
Problem would be if you did want to tune it you would now need to lossen the locking nut each time. They only work well if you have fine tuners on the bridge.

+1
Also when you tighten the locking nuts your string goes slightly out of tune, hence the need for finetuners. I wouldn't recommend it.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Bad idea. I used to think this would work; it dosn't. Locking tuners, graphite nut, even graphtech saddles, if you're into that.