I'm thinking of getting this thing because I'm not pleased with my Amplug-Metal purchase.

I'm pretty convinced about the pocket pod after I saw a video demonstrating its downloadable presets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLkHI26FEEQ

I mean that thing actually nailed those tones perfectly!

But my concern is: Can I use it as a preamp? Will it still sound as good if I plug it into a cab?

And also what exactly is the difference between this and the Pod 2.0 other than the fact that you can tweak more of the 2.0s sound?

EDIT: One more thing, how accurate is the pocket pod's amp and cab modelling? I'm really interested to hear its 89 Soldano head.
Last edited by indra13 at Apr 2, 2008,
I am not sure if it can be used as a preamp...I know you cant use it with a speaker and expect it to power a large cab.

but the PP is a great unit, nice and portable, the larger pods are made for the studio.
I would go with one of the live pod units (floor units) if you want to play live or on stage.
They're ok, but more is better. Get an XTL for best bang for buck. The POD units can't be used without a power amp if I understand you question correctly.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
They're ok, but more is better. Get an XTL for best bang for buck. The POD units can't be used without a power amp if I understand you question correctly.

I have a 5 watt tube head running through a 1x12 cab. Will I be able to connect the pod somewhere in the chain?
try out an ME-50 i dont know if its anything like the PP but its sounds pretty killerand its really simple to use, think the delays themselves are worth it
Quote by indra13
I'm thinking of getting this thing because I'm not pleased with my Amplug-Metal purchase.

I'm pretty convinced about the pocket pod after I saw a video demonstrating its downloadable presets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLkHI26FEEQ

I mean that thing actually nailed those tones perfectly!

But my concern is: Can I use it as a preamp? Will it still sound as good if I plug it into a cab?

And also what exactly is the difference between this and the Pod 2.0 other than the fact that you can tweak more of the 2.0s sound?

EDIT: One more thing, how accurate is the pocket pod's amp and cab modelling? I'm really interested to hear its 89 Soldano head.

The Pocket Pod can be used as a preamp. If you're willing to spend the money on a 2.0, save a little more and get the XT, unless you're after the simplicity of the 2.0. With some tweaking, the Pod's can sound pretty damn convincing. I've fooled quite a few people with my PodXT. I recorded a few shorts clips and didn't mention what I used. I had people thinking (actually guessing that) I was using everything from a Dual/Triple Recto., Mark IV, and a few other amps. Once I told them it was a PodXT, all of the "It sounded digital...", "I thought it sounded digital...", etc. BS comments like that to cover up for saying a Pod sounded good.

The Soldano amp model is one of the best amp models the Pod's offer.
Quote by indra13
I have a 5 watt tube head running through a 1x12 cab. Will I be able to connect the pod somewhere in the chain?

Yes, the POD loves my Valve Jr.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I'm also considering a Line 6 Toneport KB37 (the one with the keyboard keys) because it has a built in Pod (correct me if I'm wrong) but I dunno if it'll accept patches. And I'm getting into recording at the same time
Quote by indra13
I'm also considering a Line 6 Toneport KB37 (the one with the keyboard keys) because it has a built in Pod (correct me if I'm wrong) but I dunno if it'll accept patches. And I'm getting into recording at the same time

It should. It's basically a TonePort UX2 in the form of a midi controller.
But which Pod is equivalent to the one built in inside one of these? 2.0, XT, PP?
Everything the UX2 offers was modeled after the PodXT - amp, cab, mic, and effects models.
Oh sweet so it's basically a combo of Toneport UX2 and a PODXT? Thats awesome!

Will it accept downloadable presets though?
jog on from james rules.

nah seriously dont use it as a pre-amp. it wont work, and could harm your speaker cab.
Quote by indra13
Will it accept downloadable presets though?

You can download patches from CustomTone.com

Quote by xdeathxcorex
nah seriously dont use it as a pre-amp. it wont work, and could harm your speaker cab.

Disregard that. Clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.
Thanks heaps dude!

EDIT: Oh sorry dude, one more thing. I looked into the downloadable patches from customtone.com, and they don't seem to have one for KB37. Will I be able to open up the PODXT patches instead (using the KB37)?
Last edited by indra13 at Apr 2, 2008,
the pocket pod is awesome i swear by it i am going to get an xt and tone port and maby a spider valve (MAYBE, cuz lots of spiders suck) but the bogner thing is magically BOUTIQUE and digital. my other choice is a b-52 at 100 or a vox adt100vt. and im really getting tired of bieng made fun of for my amps tho.
i also use it 4 all my recording.
Last edited by maverick_137 at Apr 11, 2008,
i prefer th boss micro br
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by maverick_137
the pocket pod is awesome i swear by it i am going to get an xt and tone port and maby a spider valve (MAYBE, cuz lots of spiders suck) but the bogner thing is magically BOUTIQUE and digital. my other choice is a b-52 at 100 or a vox adt100vt. and im really getting tired of bieng made fun of for my amps tho.

Why would you buy an XT AND a TonePort? I don't really see much of a point to buy both. Use the money and buy an X3.