Is it true that the only way to be recognized by record labels is to play show upon show and hope someone important is there and likes your original stuff? Or are there other ways?
true, although how important is it to get your stuff copywrited? I would assume pretty important...
Quote by StJimmy88
true, although how important is it to get your stuff copywrited? I would assume pretty important...

Quoted cuz I wanna know the answer as well. Don't mean to hijack a thread but for that matter how do you copyright a song or album or anything along those lines?
Quote by maggot2011
Quoted cuz I wanna know the answer as well. Don't mean to hijack a thread but for that matter how do you copyright a song or album or anything along those lines?

i'm not exactly sure about copyrights on songs, i know the labels do it, but i think you could go about copyrighting anything. try this place http://www.copyright.gov/register/sound.html

that might help.
well, I'm not sure if this is the only way, but I looked it up and theres a website i found on google (which I'll let you all know what it is in a sec) taht it costs like, $104 per thing you want to copy right...or at least, to my understanding that's what it was. I emailed them, im waiting for them to answer me back though.

edit: screw my copy right website, just use the one that he supplied up there ^^
Last edited by StJimmy88 at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by StJimmy88
well, I'm not sure if this is the only way, but I looked it up and theres a website i found on google (which I'll let you all know what it is in a sec) taht it costs like, $104 per thing you want to copy right...or at least, to my understanding that's what it was. I emailed them, im waiting for them to answer me back though.

try my link, its a government website (being .gov) and they charge $45 only.
Quote by aaron6890
try my link, its a government website (being .gov) and they charge $45 only.

mine was actually a government site too...BUT must of been the gov't of holycrapwerecheap
Poor man's copyright: Mail yourself a CD with whatever you want copyrighted on it and with the date printed on the label. Don't open it until you're in court.
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
oh, woops...it's legalzoom.com i was wrong about it being a .gov site. but yeah, your defenately right
Quote by lethalagent14
Poor man's copyright: Mail yourself a CD with whatever you want copyrighted on it and with the date printed on the label. Don't open it until you're in court.

That has a history of not holding up in court, just register with the Library of Congress (or equivalent in your country)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by lethalagent14

I read up on copyright's just because I was interested in how to do it after looking at this thread. On the wikipedia article on copyright it says about poor man's copyright:

"While such a technique might have evidentiary value in a court of law, the method is potentially flawed because the United States Postal Service does not require an envelope to be sealed before it is mailed."

It may work where I live, but I wouldn't trust it.

Edit: If you register a copyright where you live, will it apply in all other countries?
copyrights are simple. go to the copyright office website get the sr form and fill it out. it's only like 40 bucks for as many songs as you want. quite simple. you won't get anything back for like 4 or 5 months.

as long as you have proof of owning the song you already have a "copyright" but it's best to go through all the legal avenues. unless you have the proper forms any sort of litigation may have some gray areas.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.