well ive tried posting in some finishing threads, and tried searching but I did not get a response and I couldn't find what it was that I wanted.... but anyways...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/20/73483298_800b45b36f.jpg?v=0

Long story short I use to love wolves when I was little... so its kind of like something that was from my childhood and it was important to me. I guess kind of like a reminder to myself, lol but anyways I dont know anything about what that picture is advertising or the site, I just thought the picture would look cool.

But the way I figured I have two things that I was considering. First was to print it out, trace it on a stencil, and cut it out with an exacto knife, cover everything and use some paint spray.

but the more I though about it, the more I want to just burn the image into my guitar. Basically I would cut out the stencil, lightly trace it with a pencil and then burn it.

But I know nothing about stencils, or paint. So if anyone has any suggestions or help, or experience I would like the help.
Also this is for my faded gibson SG, so theres no finish on the guitar or anything or sanding that I really need to do.

But if i went with the spraying option, I would need to clear coat the guitar wouldn't I?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
i have no idea about doing it on a guitar... but i did a whole semester of Visual Art on stenciling... for starters get your hands on some OHP clear plastic sheets... then trace your image onto it, cut and hay presto you have a stencil. It is harder going from a source image to a stencil but if you are going from that link it will be easy.
once again this might not be right for guitars, but i suggest using aerosole spray paint. and if you do, when you spray it you want to do about 6 - 8 light coats rather then the whole stencil in one coat.

as for the burning thing..... thats a cool idea but i dont no how it would be done
Proud Australian.
thanks for the response, can I get this OHP sheets from like michaels or somewhere or is this something I would need to order online?

and yea ive messed with paint enough to know that if you spray to much it'll start dripping and I definately want that :P haha

*edit* after looking, you talking about those over head projector sheets that you use?
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Apr 2, 2008,
Yeah he's talking about acetate, overhead projector stuff. Not sure how well that method would work. Your first idea would work well for spray paint and Im pretty sure that you would have to clear coat a sprayed design.
As for the burning idea I think you should practice it on a piece of scrap wood before you go ahead with it on your guitar, you could use a soldering iron for the burning - I think...
Quote by xharass_natox
you could use a soldering iron for the burning - I think...

Or he could spend like 20 bucks and get a wood burning kit and be better off. I think the burning idea would look cool. Plus, I have never seen that done before.. so it would probably be pretty unique.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
yea theres not a whole lot of difference between soldering iron's and wood burning ones. Basically a handle with a piece of metal that has current through it and produces heat, most are 25 watts, which is what my soldering iron is, but wood burning kits usually have tips for a wider range of things.

But once I get the outline in the rest would be easy and the image isnt very complicated, the hardest part is going to be cutting it out with an exacto knife... Anyone know any local stores that might have a wood burning iron? I know places like home depot usually carries some soldering stuff so maybe there...
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
that would look badass, but I trust my hand to outline something already traced out with a soldering iron, I dont think I have a steady enough hand to guide a dremel, those things can jump around a lot if your not careful
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial