So I've been putting off this project for too long. I've got an old Samick guitar my grandpa got me before he died. I took the p'ups out and put them in a strat that I sold, now I'm looking at a full remake of the guitar. I guess to start out I should say I play metal and classic rock, so I want a fairly heavy sound. I play through a Framus Cobra. I'm covering the basics of a new bridge, new tuners, new knobs ect... but thats the extent of my know how! Several questions come to mind right off the bat..

-It's a H/s/s and aside from Fender I'm having a hard time finding a good set of p'ups. I'm thinking about putting together an EMG set. Possibly an 81 then the two single coil emgs that are about $69 a piece. I know nothing about the single coils, so that's where my concern is.

-Also I'm wanting to either replace or repaint the neck. I'm leaning more toward repainting because, basically the neck feels pretty good and is straight as an arrow. No need to fix what isn't broke. But I need advice on if I do repaint the neck (the back not the frets) what paint do I use? I don't want it to have a weird feel.

-I'm going to get my Aunt to do the painting on it.. she's a damn good artist.. but I have no idea what kind of paint she should use. Also should I sand the finish off with sandpaper, or a belt sander or..?

-Finally aside from a few other small issues I need to know what the hell to put on it!! If I'm gonna put the time into this thing I want it to be seeexxxy! Lol I'm not asking for specific guitars to copy cause I want it to be fairly personal.. but if anyone has any ideas or rough sketches of ideas that would be awesome.. cause I'm drawing a blank lol.

So yea basically I'm a complete newb to refinishing a guitar but that's what you guys or for! Thanks a bunch!
Russell
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
i hate emgs, you can do a lot better.

As for the neck, i wouldn't paint it. i would oil it up. best feeling in the world. im nto a fan of rubbing my hands on plastic or lacquer. i personally would use lacquer if anything, polyurethane just feels way to lame to me. i do lacquer finishes out of a can, buy it at homedepot or something. tape off the top of the fingerboard, leave the sides untaped. scuff up your previous finish with some 1000 grit sand paper. spray on some lacquer i guess.
fight the power that be
Caveat: I'm not a guru but I've done some mods, mostly painting/refinishing.
Quote by Trivium
So I've been putting off this project for too long. I've got an old Samick guitar my grandpa got me before he died. I took the p'ups out and put them in a strat that I sold, now I'm looking at a full remake of the guitar. I guess to start out I should say I play metal and classic rock, so I want a fairly heavy sound. I play through a Framus Cobra. I'm covering the basics of a new bridge, new tuners, new knobs ect... but thats the extent of my know how! Several questions come to mind right off the bat..

-It's a H/s/s and aside from Fender I'm having a hard time finding a good set of p'ups. I'm thinking about putting together an EMG set. Possibly an 81 then the two single coil emgs that are about $69 a piece. I know nothing about the single coils, so that's where my concern is.
If you prefer the tone from the 81 in combination with your amp, hopefully a nice tube/valve, then go for it. However, since it's an active PU, it doesn't make sense to mix it with passive SCs. Consider some other passive Humbucker option with the 2 SCs, IMO, or go with 2 active Humbuckers.

-Also I'm wanting to either replace or repaint the neck. I'm leaning more toward repainting because, basically the neck feels pretty good and is straight as an arrow. No need to fix what isn't broke. But I need advice on if I do repaint the neck (the back not the frets) what paint do I use? I don't want it to have a weird feel.
You can use either Acrylic lacquer or Poly. There is a new water-based rub-on Poly from MinWax that a bunch of pros are raving about. I haven't tried it but those who have used it have credibility. I plan to try it myself.

-I'm going to get my Aunt to do the painting on it.. she's a damn good artist.. but I have no idea what kind of paint she should use. Also should I sand the finish off with sandpaper, or a belt sander or..?
You can use Acrylic lacquer: Krylon, Duplicolor, any bigbox brand, since most are made by Sherwin Williams, anyway. If you prefer old school, go Nitro from ReRanch or StewMac or LMII.

Depending on the finish of your guitar, you can just scuff sand the glossy parts with 220 grit, followed up by 400, then prime/seal, spray the colorcoat or apply the design, wetsand, then clear.

Read the links on the 1st page of the Ultimate Refinishing sticky.

-Finally aside from a few other small issues I need to know what the hell to put on it!! If I'm gonna put the time into this thing I want it to be seeexxxy! Lol I'm not asking for specific guitars to copy cause I want it to be fairly personal.. but if anyone has any ideas or rough sketches of ideas that would be awesome.. cause I'm drawing a blank lol.
New bridge, new electronics, new tuners, new jack. Heck, you can even add on a Maple veneer on top and stain it! Post pics of what you have so that the savvier/active modders here can comment. Check out some of the refinishing mods here (active members) and other forums so you can get some ideas.

So yea basically I'm a complete newb to refinishing a guitar but that's what you guys or for! Thanks a bunch!
Russell

Good Luck!

u should go for the Seymour Duncan pickups: SC101 single-coil (mid and neck), JB TB4 humbucker (bridge) ull get that metal and classic rock and more with that combo
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
as far as a theme go's,just think about your grandpa for a while
something great will come to you.good luck
The single coils I'm looking at are also active emgs, not passive. EMG SA Alnico Active Pups
My main concern with the neck is that.. even though it's a good neck and not too many problems other than the tuners, kind of rough frets, and it needs a new nut.. is that whatever look i descide to go for with this guitar.. the neck will look out of place. And I'm not a fan of it's brown dots for markers. I'm looking at going to warmoth and getting a Jackson headstock sharkfin neck.. maple back ebony fretboard. It'll run around 300 to get the one that I'm looking at.

I'm also having trouble with the bridge.. It appears to be similar to a strat bridge, but I dunno if a new strat bridge would fit on there.

I'll try to get a picture posted by the end of the day.
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Brown dots for inlays? If you were feeling adventurous you could think about fitting different inlays. Might be a big job for your first try though. I doubt a Fender bridge would fit, you will have to drill new holes, and I think that is true for any bridge that isnt the original. I think your aunt could use quality acrylic paint for the finish as long as it gets sealed with clear laquer. Good luck.