I've just received a new pair of Seymour Duncan's for my '93 Patrick Eggle Berlin Stage and wondered how hard it is to replace the pickups myself. The only hard bit is that I want to use the 4-wire Jazz pickup in the neck position with a coil tap which is activated currently with the pull/push tone pot.

Do you think I should just pay for a professional?
if you know how to solder then sure do it yourself.

If not then I would suggest learning. Can't hurt to learn especially if guitar is an imporant hobby for you. Its not that hard. Just disconnect this wire, and reconnect the new one.

But if you dont feel comfortable you can always pay for it to be done, my two cents :P
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
i once did that, then it cut out after a week and i brought it into a shop and the techy called me up later and our conversation went something like this:

Techy: so, where did you say you got this job done at?
Me: Errrrm, Guitarworks (i hate them with a burning passion that's why), why?
Techy: really? Wow, i know the guy there and he's better than this...
Me: How so?
Techy: well i'm going to be honest, this is the worst soldering job i've ever seen in my entire life! I mean honestly, my three year old daughter could do better than this! And she's dyslexic.
Me: ....Sweet, so your saying my cheap squire with a warped neck is a piece of ****, now why was it you called me?

But yeah, the morale of the story is always pay someone who actually knows how to do it if you ever wanna play your baby again.
Funky c, Funky do
Quote by funky_c
i once did that, then it cut out after a week and i brought it into a shop and the techy called me up later and our conversation went something like this:

Techy: so, where did you say you got this job done at?
Me: Errrrm, Guitarworks (i hate them with a burning passion that's why), why?
Techy: really? Wow, i know the guy there and he's better than this...
Me: How so?
Techy: well i'm going to be honest, this is the worst soldering job i've ever seen in my entire life! I mean honestly, my three year old daughter could do better than this! And she's dyslexic.
Me: ....Sweet, so your saying my cheap squire with a warped neck is a piece of ****, now why was it you called me?

But yeah, the morale of the story is always pay someone who actually knows how to do it if you ever wanna play your baby again.

Also its called practice soldering lol
Quote by Martindecorum
... if i were u i would practice with a cheap guitar and cheap pickup, removing and replacing, before taking on the main attempt,

otherwise just pay the $35 aussie dollars to get a pro

$35?! If only! I have been quoted over $100 Aus by 2 shops which is why I was considering doing it myself. This is to install both pickups. I have no problem with the soldering but as I don't know about coil taps.. well things might get messed up so I may have to bite the bullet, I'll have a peek inside and see if I can work it out. Thanks for the advice guys.
It is not that hard, I learned on my own after doing maybe 2-3 guitars. Just go slow if you are unsure, make sure you have good equipment, and KEEP PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING AWAY. This may be the biggest obstacle. Choose a time when you are home alone?
Also, check out seymourduncan.com for wiring diagrams.
I know you have Seymour pups, but even if you don't they have every combo you could need.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by guitarnoize
$35?! If only! I have been quoted over $100 Aus by 2 shops which is why I was considering doing it myself. This is to install both pickups. I have no problem with the soldering but as I don't know about coil taps.. well things might get messed up so I may have to bite the bullet, I'll have a peek inside and see if I can work it out. Thanks for the advice guys.

HEHEH i get discounts...

hmmm....best of luck to you though, just be patient and take ur time if u do soldier,

but goto the music shop were u bought the equipment from, they should be nice and be like hey CHEAPER MATE
Yes I found a similar wiring diagram on seymourduncan.com, they haven't got the exact one but its just a case of the coil tap being on the tone instead of the volume. I'll have a look first and see if I can tell what is going on and then if I'm unsure take it to the techs.
Be extremly careful with the soldering tool...............if your not you could burn the finish right off the guitar, as I have learned in the past.
Quote by Martindecorum
HEHEH i get discounts...

hmmm....best of luck to you though, just be patient and take ur time if u do soldier,

but goto the music shop were u bought the equipment from, they should be nice and be like hey CHEAPER MATE

Thats a bit tricky I bought the pickups online from the US as they were half the price of Aus!
get a pro
My Gear
Ibanez GSZ 120
Aria Pro II SL
Starfire Mega 10
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall MG100 DFX
BTW, if you're talking about using one coil, it's called coil splitting.

Coil tapping is using less/more windings on a single coil. The single coil has to be constructed with a coil tap.

There are diagrams all over the place, and seymourduncan.com has ones for their own pickups.
And if you're stumped, you can always come here to the GBC and post about it.