Ok, I've been trying to tap for a while now on my Fender Strat, and I haven't been that successful. Today, at school, I was playing around on the Squier Strat, and noticed 'soft' and 'relaxed' the strings were. I tried tapping, it was so easy, and it sounded so ****in' awesome. So, I noticed some things, firstly, the action was way lower and secondly, the strings were pretty light. When I compared it to my Strat, mine had relatively medium-high action and the strings on mine are medium gauge compared to the light ones at school. So, I lowered the action on my Strat to buzzpoint...at which I raised it a bit. Now it's a bit easier to tap, but I'm still noticing a 'stiffness' about it, and the high e is still pretty hard to tap on...

So what do I do to get the same 'feel' as the Squier? I used to use light and extra-light strings but when I started to play metal, I moved on to medium/heavy.

Thanks, and also tappers, how high is your action and what's your string gauge?
im surprised you could tap that well with a squier, mine sounds like crap when i tap, anyways lower action helps and makes tapping much easier. your fender strat will tap awesome if you lower the action a bit, i guerentee you it will be ten times better than the squier.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
^ I have, it taps about the same, but when playing normally, the sustain on the higher frets is horrible. EDIT: Only on the G string

By the way, my bridge is 'floating'...don't know if that affects anything but I thought I'd mention just in case...

I also just noticed that lower the action has changed my tone to like a sharp tone, like when you strike your strings hard...this is the sound I'm getting even when I'm playing softly
Last edited by myearshurt at Apr 2, 2008,
The only tapping I ever do is when I'm playing metal/shred or just tasty licks.
And that's mainly on my Jackson Kelly or my Explorer. Kelly has .09's and the Explorer has .10's.
My Strat has .13's, but I don't think I've ever needed to bust out some tapping on that...

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
low action 10 gauge strings works for me, used to sound like crap but i swapped out the stock neck pickup and now its a 100% improvement, i also played on my friends RG which has just been refretted and it sounded even better, so i found its a variety of things really.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Make sure you're tapping correctly. That may sound obvious, but you should be able to tap audibly even on an acoustic instead of having your gear make up for shoddy technique.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Make sure you're tapping correctly. That may sound obvious, but you should be able to tap audibly even on an acoustic instead of having your gear make up for shoddy technique.

Taaadaaa! Good to see Dutch kids on here, and great comment. I can tap equally bad on any guitars, whether the action's high or low. I don't like low action much much so I had to get used to it.
also make sure your tone switches are up full...although you should still be able to get a sound without them at all, lower action or lighter strings is my suggestion.
Quote by Pott
Taaadaaa! Good to see Dutch kids on here, and great comment. I can tap equally bad on any guitars, whether the action's high or low. I don't like low action much much so I had to get used to it.

I'm part Dutch...

But yeah, TS, lower action helps alot, but you should be really trying to maintain a good technique, so if it's difficult, perhaps try and refine your technique? Practice, practice.
I have an Ibanez RG350 which has the best action I've ever played on and also I only use 9-42's so tapping is like easier than playing smoke on the water.
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:
-Boss ME-50 Multi Effects

Quote by Ajax413
Pfft... I know a guy who didn't even masturbate until he was 18... now that's a late bloomer.