My band has an out door gig in the summer.

We have
a 50 watt valve combo (one 12 inch speaker)
One drum kit
one 60 watt bass amp (one 15 inch speaker)
and a PA

Would this be enough to use with an audience of 400-500 people outside?
If not what do we do?
you can never have enough sound at a gig, especially outdoors
go to your local music store and look for the fattest amp around and then but some of the largest and loudest speakers you can find
then use them for the gig
I was thinking of getting a 4 by 12 or a 2 by 12 or 4 by 10 cab to go with my amp.
I really dont want to have to mic up but we are going to use a couple of smaller (30 watt) bass amps on the bass to make that louder as well but i still dont think the guitars will be loud enough.

what would you sujjest?
Damn.
Would a cab make this better?
If not maybe buying another amp to use with it?
who will need to be louder, me or the bass player?

What if i took along another tube combo (id have to buy a new one - which is annoying but i guess it will have too do) ill only have about 400 pounds at the maximum - unless i can trade that and a marshall DSL for some thing bigger?
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by The_0thersid3
My band has an out door gig in the summer.

We have
a 50 watt valve combo (one 12 inch speaker)
One drum kit
one 60 watt bass amp (one 15 inch speaker)
and a PA

Would this be enough to use with an audience of 400-500 people outside?
If not what do we do?

Guitar amp is fine, 50 watts of tube power is all you'll ever need in terms of raw volume.
Bass is not so hot, you need a waaaaaay bigger bass amp, probably around 300 watts at the least otherwise it'll sound like shit next to the guitar.
And speakers for the PA being as big as you can get them.
You need to run through the PA. Hell your gonna need like a 500watt Pa anyways, you might as well run everything through it. Your at the very least need to mic the drums.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Quote by The_0thersid3
Thanks for the help, i still cant help thinking im going to need a cab of some sort...
any body got any recomendations?

you wont need a cab, 50 that amp will be great mic'd up through the PA

but like that other guy said your gonna need alot more basspower
Playing out doors is a strange thing, your sound can travel around with the wind, bounce of buildings and other objects ect. It all depends on just where you are playing.
Let's say for instance that you're playing slap bang inbetween two buildings. Having those two buildings either side of you can channel the sound and any audience present would probably hear a fairly clear sound without too much amplification, but if you were to play on top of a hill, you need a huge PA just to be heard because most of your sound would just disappear into the atmosphere.
I've played similar sized audiences outdoors with a 400w PA with everything going through it, and that seemed to do the job just nicely, but I wouldn't like to try it with much less.
Quote by The_0thersid3
Ok so talking about PAs now.

Our system has a mixer and two speakers but not the bass bins ( i think thats what there called? )do we need them to put the drums and bass through?

As long as the speakers you've got will handle the wattage from the amp, no, you don't need them, but the bass and drums will sound better if you have them. Also, tweeters make all your top end frequency stuff, (like guitar solos, cymbles, ect.) sound better too.
I think its 1000watts but cant be so shure.

Ive just come of the phone with my singer, hes going to buy a full pa system that is a few hundred watts - its not the best but will do, were going to use this in combination with our current setup and have the vocals through on set up and drums and guitars through the other.

would SM57s work well as overhead mics?
Quote by The_0thersid3
I think its 1000watts but cant be so shure.

Ive just come of the phone with my singer, hes going to buy a full pa system that is a few hundred watts - its not the best but will do, were going to use this in combination with our current setup and have the vocals through on set up and drums and guitars through the other.

would SM57s work well as overhead mics?

They'd work well enough in an open air enviroment.

Your singer's probably got the right idea, it's much easier to buy a full working PA.

As for the 1000w amp, if it's a stereo amp, it'll throw out 500w each side, so if you get a couple of 300w 15 inch speakers, four 100w 10 inch speakers and some tweeter horns, it should sound pretty decent, with two bass cabs containing one 15 incher each, two mid range cabs containing two 10 inchers each (you could even angle them in the cabs to help spread the sound) and tweeters on top, but this is very simplified, you're better off seeing an expert who will tell you about ohmage and resistance and signal splitters and what will go best with your amp.
If you're good at woodwork, make your own cabinets. Half of the cost in a speaker cabinet, you pay for the actual cabinet. If you do build your own, make sure every joint is glued and screwed to avoid vibration.
Rent some bottoms and a set of drum mics. Mic everything should be good to go.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
A cheap pa is a cheap pa. Rent a good one and save up for a decent one.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Wait a sec.... you're got an outdoor gig. Who is putting it on? You? Where is it?

As Slack said about buildings and stuff is bang on. We played a rooftop gig at a large mall and just used a small practice PA for vocals. No drum mics, no guitars, nothin. It was plenty loud enough, as the sound came bouncing off the surrounding buildings right back at us and essentially helping to fill in the open area where we were playing.

We also played a festival on the main stage at a large outdoor park (probably 6 residential blocks by 4 residential blocks), and needed a huge PA. Everything was miked. In a big wide-open space, sound will travel for miles and without lots of power, it will just seem to disperse. I played the same stage at the same festival back in '87 and just used a little 10W Peavey amp. (hey, I was 17....) When we miked it up, it was *plenty* loud enough.

Depending on who is putting on the show, they'll probably supply the PA.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.