So I was in my local guitar shop the other day looking at getting myself a new distortion pedal. I was talking to the guy about what to buy and he asked me what style of music i wanted to play, so I said thrash and metal like Metallica and Pantera. So he said I should look into Overdrive pedals if that's what I wanted. Now i had always thought that Distortion was the heavier sounding pedal and that over drive was more for rock and blues.

So UG can you tell me if it is me the shop keeper that is wrong.

thanks in advanced
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you
Distortion is good for Solid State amps. Overdrives are mainly for driving tube amps hard giving you more gain. So if your running a SS amp get the distortion. If you running a tube amp and you want to drive you amp harder and keep its natural tone get the OD. Or thirdly you can get the Distortion pedal for a Tube amp if your amp has no gain what so ever.

Hope that helps..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Apr 2, 2008,
well I've got a SS practice amp so I'll go down the distortion route
thanks for your help.
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you