I'm playing an Ibanez RG 470.
I've been playing with it for about 4 months.
I'm very much an amateur.
The amp i'm stuck with at the moment is a Behringer Thunderbird bx108.
For the clean tones I pretty much only need, it serves okay.
I'm playing mainly pop-punk (blink 182, etc) and the occasional burst of rock (foo fighters).
But, well. Yeah. It's a bass amp.
I'm thinking about getting a Boss MT2 Metal Zone Distortion Pedal, but i'm worried that perhaps I should get a better amp?
I'm not thinking of upgrading per se, merely switching. I don't have a huge amount of money to spend, about the $100 (Australian) mark. Maybe considering a Fender Squier SP-10.
So, um. Yeah.
Anyone got any suggestions on my next course of action?
I know this thread's a little all over the place, but, yeah.
Cheers,
Cherub.
Don't get the Squier, it's crap. Save some more and get a Roland Microcube, or a Vox DA5.
Quote by greggybhoy
Don't get the Squier, it's crap. Save some more and get a Roland Microcube, or a Vox DA5.

Both $215 each after haggling. Not being an idiot, just keeping people updated on the prices of these things.

Anyway, if you go for a pedal, a DS-1 or an OS-2 are much better choices than the MT-2.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
tbh, u can use the bass amp with a good modeler and get very decent tones .
if it has good cleans like you said, and probably lots of headroom since it is a bass amp, a good modeler will give good possibilities - the opportunity to try different types of tones & effects .
then, if you decide to invest in an amp/pedals, you will know what you like and/or need, and you'll have a good idea what to look for .

that said, i don't know much about modelers today.. i had some kind of ZOOM multiFX/modeler a few years ago, i think it was a GFX-4. it was pretty good.
You got a couple of choices:

- Buy a cheap distortion, a DS-1 would be ideal.
- Get a second hand Valve Junior or something, but I don't know what they go for in Australia.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
So what's the quality like for the DS-1? Considering price of course, and the type of music i play? (see above.)
Quote by Cherubgeist
So what's the quality like for the DS-1? Considering price of course, and the type of music i play? (see above.)

i used a ds-1 through a bass amp (peavey max 126) as my first set-up. i liked the sound i got for your types of music.

Edit: i forgot to mention charging $89 for a squier sp-10 could possibly be considered a crime anywhere in the world.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Apr 3, 2008,
I think that's a good idea. Guitars played through bass amps can often sound okay, so if you're just starting and you don't have much money, get a DS-1 for $39.99, practice, and save up.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.