Either my guitar or amp OR lead is screwed.

i took my guitar, turned the amp on and there was this massive buzz sound coming from it. now i tried both channels, buzz. turned down the volume and tone knobs on my guitar and theres still buzz, tried 2 different leads and theres still buzz. i tried with out guitar in but still with lead, still buzz. amp alone and tehre wasnt any buzz.

is tehre anyone that has had similar experiences? please help me!

note: my amp isnt a tube amp.
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
so its fixable?? and ur definately sure that its the amp? ive had the guitar... and it was a different amp last time too
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Are you plugging into a beehive? That may be your problem here.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
is this some sort of joke?
typical sydney natives...

~Napoleon Bonaparte
well seeing as its night time over here, i thought id ask UG first so i dont have to take my guitar and amp..

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote by dayvbayb
so its fixable?? and ur definately sure that its the amp? ive had the guitar... and it was a different amp last time too

im 90% sure its the amp, its a high pitch buzz and u cannot get sound from the guitar to the amp, if that it, play with the amps jack lift it up or pull it down....

and yes fixable i got my quoted $90 dollars to fix
no i can still play the guitar, tehres just this massive noise behind it. and its not that high pitched.

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Sounds like noise is getting into your lead.

What it will be is that somewhere between the plug where the lead goes in, and wherever that connects it's picking up extra electrical signals.

I'd quote about $90-180 to fix depending on what is wrong.

Try hitting it
if the bad input is on my guitar id rather replace it since its not even worth that much, not even in sentimental value... and ive tried with 2 different leads with exaclty the same problem.

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Woops my bad
I mean in your amp the connection has been compromised somewhere between the input (may even be the input) and where ever that then plugs into.

Try twisting your lead around or pushing it up and down at angles.

Chances are as you've pulled your lead out of the amp beforehand you've messed up the wiring. Or maybe something has overheated inside... Chances are you've messed up the wiring as you've pulled out the lead. Try twisting it around, Pulling it up and pushing it down and all around.

*IMPORTANT* Put pressure on the amp not the lead or you'll screw your lead up.

If this helps any it means that your input on your amp is screwed.

From what your saying your guitar is 100% okay, it looks to me to be the connection point at the amp.
NOSE PICKING IS GROSS! Fingerpicking is NOT!
Quote by Kanthras
Kinda like finger condoms.
well i did what what u said accept with my guitar before hand and it deadened the sound.
i should note the lead was a little wonky in the first place...

EDIT: now that ive done with the amp, i have to say that nothing did make a difference. im guessing because i have Roland Cube 15X and the input knut is massive and i can t move the lead around at all. also id like to add that before this problem, my amp used to always make a snap sound eveytime i turn it off.

~Napoleon Bonaparte
It has nothing to do with your guitar.

I can say this for certain because you have the buzz when the guitar is unplugged but a lead is plugged in.

This is telling me that there's something hinky in your amp.

Hopefully it's not FUBAR but take it in, i'm guessing $80 to $100
Quote by Kanthras
okay well i just found out that the shop warranty actually ends today, as in i bought this amp exacltly a year ago. i hope they can do something about it since im short on cash.

UPDATE: so ive called them up and they said if i bring it in today, they can send it away to get fixed free of charge. but ill be without an amp for 1-2 weeks...

another question, do u think that a faulty lead caused this?? or what do u think caused this? so i can know and buy a new lead. thanks for ur help everyone!

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Unless all your leads went faulty at once it is your amp.

"tried 2 different leads and theres still buzz. i tried with out guitar in but still with lead, still buzz. amp alone and tehre wasnt any buzz."

That tells me it is your amp or both your leads... I'm guessing it's your amp.
Quote by Kanthras
thanks man but it turns out it wasnt the amp at all, I tried it at the store with anotehr guitar and it was fine. now humming buzz behind the guitar playing...

now i think its my guitar thats faulty. im pretty sure i know what the problem now is though. the input in my guitar gets loose sometimes and i always have to tighten it. and when i moved the lead around the buzzing noise got louder. and when i changed the tone knob, the buzz sounded different...

sorry for the verbal diarrhea, im just really panicky.

~Napoleon Bonaparte