Hey all, new member here; first post!

I've been playing guitar for about 10 years on and off, looking to get back into it. I want to build/mod a strat-copy guitar, and I'm looking for a good starting point. Basically I'll be throwing away the pickups, tuners, bridge, electronics. But I'd like something with solid frets, a good neck, and a good body. I need at least a bridge humbucker and would prefer not to route the body for one (I'm not much of a wood-worker).

Second question: what's the best non-trem bridge for putting in strats?

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced strat-copy, especially if you don't care about the electronics and hardware? Thanks!
Last edited by tuj at Apr 2, 2008,
I might be criticized for this, but what about a squier? That could solve your body problem, and maybe the neck as well.
I've had squier strats and in the past, and aside from a very early Korean model (which I understand the first 500 or so were made from US Strat parts; they shipped them over to see what the Koreans could do and were impressed?!), I have had trouble getting a good setup out of the squiers, which I believe is largely a neck and/or neck fit issue. But I'm not a setup expert or Fender historian by any means. :-)
I'm also open to the short-scale fenders too (Mustang, Jaguar) and clones. I tend not to like the Gibson style necks. I know that's weird since the Gibson scale length is in-between...but that's just how if feels for me. Either small or big, but not in-between.
I own a early 90s Peavey Predator(american made not the exp imports).It has the best feeling neck ive ever played on a cheap guitar.Very solid poplar and its routed for humbuckers.They are relativly cheap, if you can find one.I know they are always on ebay but i know i dont like buying guitars without playing them.If you feel ok about ebay than its not hard to find a predator, if not then go to pawn shops and look.

Also ive heard that SX guitars are pretty nice with upgrades.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html
I havent gotten around to ordering one but from what ive read they are good.
The new squiers are basswood and the SXs are alder so thats also something to consider.

Heres the guy I found out about SX guitars from.He upgraded the pickups and he sounds pretty damn good.

stock

upgraded pickups
Last edited by Gates67 at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by Gates67
I own a early 90s Peavey Predator(american made not the exp imports).It has the best feeling neck ive ever played on a cheap guitar.Very solid poplar and its routed for humbuckers.They are relativly cheap, if you can find one.I know they are always on ebay but i know i dont like buying guitars without playing them.If you feel ok about ebay than its not hard to find a predator, if not then go to pawn shops and look.

Also ive heard that SX guitars are pretty nice with upgrades.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html
I havent gotten around to ordering one but from what ive read they are good.
The new squiers are basswood and the SXs are alder so thats also something to consider.

Heres the guy I found out about SX guitars from.He upgraded the pickups and he sounds pretty damn good.

stock

upgraded pickups

Agreed... I love the way my predator feels and get a ton of compliments on it by friends and other musicians. Make sure it's a US made predator though... They were only made in the us i believe until 95 and it will say "made in the usa" on the headstock.

-I paid about 150 shipped for my first which was mint condition set up professionally.
-Paid 100 bucks for my second in good condition.

If you look hard enough you can definitely find a good deal on a peavey predator for sub 100 dollars... Great guitars though... I recommend.

-Chris Cramer